Highlighted

Get rid if the "overset type" boxes, please

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I user Illustrator a lot for working up pages of mostly type. I know I should use a word-processing app, but I like the flexibility of AI. I invariably wind up with those little red-plus overset type boxes scattered around the field, getting in the way, with absolutely NO reason for being there. Is there any way to prevent them, to save me from wasting time selecting and deleting them?  I understand their use, but there is never a casse of overset type to explain their presence in the file.  

Thank you for researching the problem. Considering how rough my type-entry can be, I'm not surprised that it amounts to clumsiness at my end. I could ask more questions, but considering that you've given me an answer, I'll use the object/path/cleanup route to get rid of the boxes and try to figure out how I can avoid making errors. Thanks again.

TOPICS
Feature request, Print and publish, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Get rid if the "overset type" boxes, please

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I user Illustrator a lot for working up pages of mostly type. I know I should use a word-processing app, but I like the flexibility of AI. I invariably wind up with those little red-plus overset type boxes scattered around the field, getting in the way, with absolutely NO reason for being there. Is there any way to prevent them, to save me from wasting time selecting and deleting them?  I understand their use, but there is never a casse of overset type to explain their presence in the file.  

Thank you for researching the problem. Considering how rough my type-entry can be, I'm not surprised that it amounts to clumsiness at my end. I could ask more questions, but considering that you've given me an answer, I'll use the object/path/cleanup route to get rid of the boxes and try to figure out how I can avoid making errors. Thanks again.

TOPICS
Feature request, Print and publish, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a file with visible overset type symbols, but no overset type?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Sorry this took so long. I haven't been getting alerts from the forum, for some reason. Anyway, here are some examples of the overset type boxes I get when there is no overset typeoverset type boxes.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But there are text objects, aren't there?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, OK, what exactly is the purpose of the "Overset text" boxes? What are they supposed to do?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously there are text boxes. Do they serve any purpose? And if they don't, why are they there?

The overset type signal is there to remind you of possibly expensive errors.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What could be one of the expensive errors? An example? 

It may help that I have put together a template for using area type rather than just starting a line of type at one corner and working toward the opposite corner.  Will the results be any different?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An expensive error would be if a text box is too small and missing important parts of text on e.g. a packaging design.

Please upload your file, so someone can investigate. If you don't show your file then this won't be solved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  Monika,  thanks for the example. You're right, that would be an expensive error. I'm having trouble with the Uploading of the file because 1. I've never done it before, 2. I did get as far as "packaging" the file, but 3. What do I do with it? I can't use the suggested icloud storage method because I'm running Mojave and not Catalina (old Mac Pro 2012), and 4. I have no idea how to "publish a link" on this forum. I understand that more could be accomplished at the forum end if I could upload the whole file, but you will note elsewhere in the forum this same question came up ("how can I upload a file to the forum?") and the answer was, quote:"It can't be done. Period". And I'm expected to know how? If you can point me at a how-to paper I'll do my best.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share your sample Illustrator file (.ai)?

It looks like a pretty odd smorgasbord of fragmented type objects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. It's shown above, and I don't understand why the overset type boxes appear where and when they do. I've never wound up with type that was "hidden" somehow. The one problem area I have is correcting and changing type I have already input. Sometimes the overset box will appear at a correction point, or at a place where I've highlighted a patch of text for some reason. It can take many attempts to select a specific line of type, or a single letter, and by the time I've done it, there's an oveerset box there. No type is overset, it has been altered, but it stays on the line of type. So what is "overset" about it? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(edit)-and what is there about the patch of type that makes it look, to you, like an odd smorgasboard of fragmented type objects? It's all in one type font, the lines end in periods...what is a "fragmented type object", exactly?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I or someone else may provide an appropriate answer to your questions if you could share a sample Illustrator file (not just a screenshot).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have it "packaged",-so how do I attach it to this reply? Or how else do I send it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use any filesharing provider (e.g. Google Drive or Adobe Cloud storage) and post a public download link.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, but  this is getting more complicated than I have time for. Thanks anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it. I stuck it in my Cloud storage, so there it is. How do I publish a download link?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I've never done it, I've never been asked to do it, and nobody I know has done it. I suppose I should know absolutely everything I need to know in advance, but then why would I need to come here and ask questions? 

So how do I publish a download link?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out that the only Mac users who can make use of the icloud storage system for sharing files are the ones using Catalina. I'm using Mojave. So that particular solution is a non-starter.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a free Dropbox account. Place the file there; right click on the file and you should get the option to copy the link. Paste the link in a new message here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if you do not have the time to share a sample Illustrator file, you may have to wait for a soothsayer who can possibly solve your issues.

Good luck.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Mr. Gold, I seem to have got us off on the wrong foot. My apologies. I wrote that I didn't have time because I had never done that file-sharing maneuver before, but I looked into it, found that I could do it in Dropbox, and it wasn't difficult. I posted the link in Larry's last post and in Monika's. Thank you for your persistence. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0
Resources