Highlighted

Ghost items in Links panel

Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on some panels which will be printed in large format. I'm making a summary document which shows all the panels in context and gives a visual image of how they will be mounted and viewed (see below).

Asset 1.png

In the rotated poster with the blue background, when I paste it the images appear in the links panel twice, once as links and once embedded. This is not the case in the source file. I cannot select the embedded images. Using Go to Link in the Links panel doesn’t select anything.

I put the poster on its own layer and, object by object, hid each component (Command 3). There are five images in the poster: the blue background image and four square masked images near the bottom. I only had to select each image once. I then Unhid all and Cut. When I did that the embedded images disappeared. I noticed that the links were selected in the Links panel but the embedded images were not. If I then paste the poster back in the embedded images reappear.

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 4.05.05 PM.png

Where are those embedded images coming from and how can I remove them from my file?

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Ghost items in Links panel

Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on some panels which will be printed in large format. I'm making a summary document which shows all the panels in context and gives a visual image of how they will be mounted and viewed (see below).

Asset 1.png

In the rotated poster with the blue background, when I paste it the images appear in the links panel twice, once as links and once embedded. This is not the case in the source file. I cannot select the embedded images. Using Go to Link in the Links panel doesn’t select anything.

I put the poster on its own layer and, object by object, hid each component (Command 3). There are five images in the poster: the blue background image and four square masked images near the bottom. I only had to select each image once. I then Unhid all and Cut. When I did that the embedded images disappeared. I noticed that the links were selected in the Links panel but the embedded images were not. If I then paste the poster back in the embedded images reappear.

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 4.05.05 PM.png

Where are those embedded images coming from and how can I remove them from my file?

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you put them into the source file?

Are the links on the same volume?

How do you put the poster into the "summary" file?

Please describe your workflow in more detail. We don't so much care what your artwork is about, but which Illustrator features you used with which options.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you put them into the source file?

I didn’t, or I don’t remember if I did. This is a legacy file I am updating. I think it was provided to me about a year ago. It is not set up how I would have, so I don’t think I created it but I do know I worked on it. My initials are in the job slug and it is somewhat familiar.

Are the links on the same volume?

Yes. Links folder in job folder. Local.

How do you put the poster into the "summary" file?

The summary contains links to the working Illustrator files. 

Please describe your workflow in more detail. We don't so much care what your artwork is about, but which Illustrator features you used with which options.

Again, I don't know how this was created. I suspect it is a bug. I deal with Illustrator bugs daily.

In the end I recreated the poster from the images I have, retyping the text and redrawing the shapes. The filenames I have for the images are consistent with images that were saved from Illustrator when the artwork is embedded. That sounds like something I would have done with supplied artwork, but again, it’s over a year since this job was created and I just don’t rmember that much detail.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. There is no way to either access or delete these files, and I suspect them to prevent me from packaging the project. Would love if someone had any idea why the links panel is doing this...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you select all objects but these images, then copy and paste into a new file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Add a group