Gold Effect type gradient image won't apply to cube made with Perspective tool.

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why will a plain solid colored shape snap onto any side of a Perspecitve tool cube, but this gold gradient won't?  Gold Gradient 500x500.jpg

I've attempted to make a cube with two black surfaces and one with a gold gradient.  Each side will have text or another solid image on it, but for now, I'd just like to figure out why the gradient won't just open up and take the surface shape.  I know about using 3D and Object Envlopes as alternatives.  I'd just really like to know why I'm having this issue.

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021
If I understand correctly, the problem is that the bands of color in the gradient do not conform to the perspective. My suggestion is that you draw a square off the Perspective Grid, with the (non-perspective) gradient applied. Then draw the desired square on the Perspective grid, select both squares, and go to Object > Envelope Distort > Make with Top Object. Be sure that the desired shape (perspective square) is above the gradient square in the Layers panel. Peter Edit: As to WHY: My guess...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having no problem doing this. I can both create a shape with a gradient on the grid or create a shape off of the grid and bring it on the grid with my perspective selection tool. Have you tried both methods?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I understand correctly, the problem is that the bands of color in the gradient do not conform to the perspective. My suggestion is that you draw a square off the Perspective Grid, with the (non-perspective) gradient applied. Then draw the desired square on the Perspective grid, select both squares, and go to Object > Envelope Distort > Make with Top Object. Be sure that the desired shape (perspective square) is above the gradient square in the Layers panel.

tromboniator_0-1611622847659.png

tromboniator_1-1611622897688.png

Peter

Edit: As to WHY: My guess is that the Perspective Grid is all about path shapes (which includes Patterns, by the way), and knows nothing of colors, including gradients. Envelope Distort reads color as well as shape.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines