GPU preview goes away and won't come back when I switch to outline mode

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new Dell laptop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card (I got it because I want to do some 3D modeling). I've been trying to use it in Illustrator. When I open a file, Illustrator automatically uses GPU preview, and it works fine UNTIL I switch the view from preview mode to outline mode (Clt-Y on the keyboard). Then it switches to CPU preview and won't switch back (option is grayed out under the View menu). Preferences/performance does not change, still shows GPU enabled. If I close the file and open it again, GPU preview is back...until I go into outline mode again.

I have the latest drivers for the card and I've told it to use the card for Illustrator via the NVIDIA control panel. I tried recreating the Ilustrator preferences file. Nothing has helped. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2021
Ashutosh_Mishra Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2021
Hi All,   Sorry to hear about your experience. There are other users who have reported similar issues with the GPU Preview in Outline mode. Product team is aware of it and working to fix this. Please upvote & add your comment on this Adobe Illustrator UserVoice post(https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/42443869-view-using-gpu-gets-greyed-out-permanently-with-ou)& stay tuned for the updates. We appreciate your patience.   Regards, Ashutosh

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here to post about the same issue - having the exact same problem.

I'm on a desktop PC with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your experience. There are other users who have reported similar issues with the GPU Preview in Outline mode. Product team is aware of it and working to fix this.

Please upvote & add your comment on this Adobe Illustrator UserVoice post(https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/42443869-view-u...)& stay tuned for the updates.

We appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ashutosh. I'm glad there is at least an explanation. Do you know if this problem afflicts all GPUs? Or only some? I ask because this is a pretty big problem for me and I'm probably going to return my new laptop because of that (and a couple of other usability issues). I want to get a different machine, but I need to get one with a graphics card that doesn't have this problem.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Madeline

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if you should return this machine only because of GPU Preview issue as this is going to be fixed in upcoming updates.

We have noticed this issue with Nvidia GPUs. If you are planning to change your machine anyways(as you mentioned other issues as well), you may check out the supported GPUs on this help article.

Hope it helps. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines