• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU preview goes away and won't come back when I switch to outline mode

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new Dell laptop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card (I got it because I want to do some 3D modeling). I've been trying to use it in Illustrator. When I open a file, Illustrator automatically uses GPU preview, and it works fine UNTIL I switch the view from preview mode to outline mode (Clt-Y on the keyboard). Then it switches to CPU preview and won't switch back (option is grayed out under the View menu). Preferences/performance does not change, still shows GPU enabled. If I close the file and open it again, GPU preview is back...until I go into outline mode again.

I have the latest drivers for the card and I've told it to use the card for Illustrator via the NVIDIA control panel. I tried recreating the Ilustrator preferences file. Nothing has helped. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your experience. There are other users who have reported similar issues with the GPU Preview in Outline mode. Product team is aware of it and working to fix this.

Please upvote & add your comment on this Adobe Illustrator UserVoice post(https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/42443869-view-using-gpu-gets-greyed-out-permanently-with-ou)& stay tuned for the updates.

We appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here to post about the same issue - having the exact same problem.

I'm on a desktop PC with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your experience. There are other users who have reported similar issues with the GPU Preview in Outline mode. Product team is aware of it and working to fix this.

Please upvote & add your comment on this Adobe Illustrator UserVoice post(https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/42443869-view-u...)& stay tuned for the updates.

We appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ashutosh. I'm glad there is at least an explanation. Do you know if this problem afflicts all GPUs? Or only some? I ask because this is a pretty big problem for me and I'm probably going to return my new laptop because of that (and a couple of other usability issues). I want to get a different machine, but I need to get one with a graphics card that doesn't have this problem.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Madeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if you should return this machine only because of GPU Preview issue as this is going to be fixed in upcoming updates.

We have noticed this issue with Nvidia GPUs. If you are planning to change your machine anyways(as you mentioned other issues as well), you may check out the supported GPUs on this help article.

Hope it helps. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating version 26.1 this really frustrating problem is back again. Please fix this soon again Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem. Any updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like a different problem than the issue described at the start of this thread. Are you using the latest version of Illustrator? Is the driver for your graphics card or chipset up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, latest version and graphics card is up to date. I tried on a second computer (brand new iMac) to be sure, and am experiencing the same issue. The file preview from my desktop shows the full file design in color, but as soon as I open it in Illustrator, its black and white outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolved. There doesn't seem to be any one thing in particular, but a combo of switching preferences off and on again multiple times, and rebooting the app multiple times. One of those times, it finally worked. Not sure the rhyme or reason. Settings I toggled are listed below:

Illustrator > Settings > Performance > Uncheck the box next to "GPU Performance." Quit the app, relaunch, and then check the box  next to GPU performance to turn it back on.

Illustrator > Settings > Plug Ins & Scratch Disks > Set primary and secondary to whatever your local disk is. Quit and relaunch app.

View > Preview > GPU Preview

Et Voila. (Maybe)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's weird. But I'm glad the glitch worked itself out of the system. Hopefully it stays that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines