Highlighted

GPU-Problem makes Illustrator crash (OS Catalina, iMac, AMD Radeon Pro 5700, Illustrator 2021)

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new iMac 27", and it's frustrating because Illustrator keeps crashing (even when I only have a blank document open and nothing complex) and when I reopen it, I get the following message (translated myself):

"Illustrator has encountered a problem with the GPU-Performance. GPU was deactivated so that you can continue using Illustrator without a problem. You can change this in the presets." (German original attached)

But without GPU, Illustrator is very laggy and slow and working smoothly is impossible. But when I reactivate it in the settings, it will crash again at some point. To be fair, I can use it for several hours, but it does crash eventually. 

I just bought this Mac last month, everything is new and up to date.

This is a nightmare...please help.

Some additional info: I contacted Apple yesterday and did a restart in safe mode. The problem persists. Since this started when I first used this Mac after getting it a week ago, I can say that is has never actually worked on this machine and I haven't made any changes to the system that may have caused this (third party plugins, antivirus, updates etc).

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 09.33.10.png

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

GPU-Problem makes Illustrator crash (OS Catalina, iMac, AMD Radeon Pro 5700, Illustrator 2021)

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new iMac 27", and it's frustrating because Illustrator keeps crashing (even when I only have a blank document open and nothing complex) and when I reopen it, I get the following message (translated myself):

"Illustrator has encountered a problem with the GPU-Performance. GPU was deactivated so that you can continue using Illustrator without a problem. You can change this in the presets." (German original attached)

But without GPU, Illustrator is very laggy and slow and working smoothly is impossible. But when I reactivate it in the settings, it will crash again at some point. To be fair, I can use it for several hours, but it does crash eventually. 

I just bought this Mac last month, everything is new and up to date.

This is a nightmare...please help.

Some additional info: I contacted Apple yesterday and did a restart in safe mode. The problem persists. Since this started when I first used this Mac after getting it a week ago, I can say that is has never actually worked on this machine and I haven't made any changes to the system that may have caused this (third party plugins, antivirus, updates etc).

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 09.33.10.png

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 04, 2020 0

Have something to add?