Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient fill using spot color AND cmyk

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

my question is...  In commercial process printing, is it ok to make a gradient using a Pantone spot color swatch and a cmyk separated color swatch?

in this example my  job is 6 colors. the gradient goes from the spot color %100 Pantone 1595 to the cmyk swatch %100 c=3 m=33 y=99 k=0.

will this register/trap or will it be problem?

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 2.45.55 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

It's doable, but difficult to predict without actually seeing it on press. Pantone solid inks don't always behave like CMYK inks. You'd really need to discuss this with your printer.

Personally, I don't think that printing 1595 as a spot is worth the extra expense and technical difficulty. It's barely out of the CMYK gamut (at least for FOGRA 51), so I'd just use the closest CMYK match.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your example is 4 colors, C, M, Y, PMS 1595. The printer would need to insure the spot color is output on an unused screen angle (e.g. black) in order to avoid an unwanted pattern in the screening (moiré). Other than that, I don't see any problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get that color gradient you should instead multiply white to orange gradient on top of a a solid yellow fill.  The yellow fill will act  like a printer does when you paint a wall giving you better solid color with less pinholing. You will get a richer color in the middle rather than a washed out look and screen angles fighting with each other and and less problem with  banding  from mindot.

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 4.31.33 PM.png

I would remove the 3% scumdot in cyan, to get you down to 3 inks. Or better yet use a spot yellow instead of process depending on what rest of art looks like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's doable, but difficult to predict without actually seeing it on press. Pantone solid inks don't always behave like CMYK inks. You'd really need to discuss this with your printer.

Personally, I don't think that printing 1595 as a spot is worth the extra expense and technical difficulty. It's barely out of the CMYK gamut (at least for FOGRA 51), so I'd just use the closest CMYK match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback everybody 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome.

Lets us know if you have any further questions. If not would  appreciate you updating the post by choosing the answer the best helped you. This marks the post green and  others know they need assist anymore on this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines