• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient Mesh is blocked / Can’t select it

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a wavy, psychedelic text effect. Tutorials on YouTube say that I need to be able to use the "Create Gradient Mesh" option under "Object" but when I select Object, Create Gradient Mesh isn't highlighted or able to be accessed in any way. I have updated my version of Illustrator and I'm using my desktop, not working off my tablet (where this isn't an option at all). 

I'm very determined to learn this particular effect so any help is very gratefully appreacitated. 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Allyssa,

It's not clear whether you've tried to make a gradient mesh directly from a type object, but that is not possible; nor is it possible to make a gradient mesh from compound paths, which is what you get by creating outlines or expanding type. Even if you release these compounds, any letter containing a counter (hole) will still be a compound path. If you release those compound paths, you have the problem of how to put the counters back once you've grouped the letter-shaped paths and created the gradient mesh.

My suggestion is to make the gradient mesh from a much simpler shape such as a rectangle or ellipse, Arrange the type object on top of it, select both, and create a clipping mask.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Allyssa5D34,

Here's what to do.

1. Go to Object

2. Find "Rasterize"

3. The one above it is the "Create Mesh"

But, before you do this, make sure you have the area that you want meshed, selected. Then, after you do that, complete the steps above. After you complete those steps, the area thatyou had selected should give you a bunch of anchor points. If you go to Window, show Color, then you can figure out how you want your gradient to be.

Please let me know if this worked!

~Kendall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines