• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient stroke wont print as spot colors.

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in a screenprinting shop that primarily uses spot color for our RIP. I made a line and added a gradient stroke to it with 3 different spot colors. When I go to print the films, the spot colors dont show up. Any ideas?

Pic 1 is what it looks like.

Pic 2 is what shows up in the separations preview.

Thanks

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is converting two of your spot colors and the overlap between those colors and the third one into process when the  gradient is applied along a stroke. It does the same when applying a gradeint along the stroke, but not within the stroke or as a fill in a shape. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 3.48.28 PM.png  Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 3.49.05 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an option for it to not do that? I need the gradient to follow that arc otherwise i'd just make that shape and use gradient fill. Only problem is gradient fill wont follow that curve, (or I dont know to make it) it stays on a straight line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may try to create 3 gradients, each one with a single spot from 100% to white stack them in the Appearance panel and use darken mode to blend them.

rainbow stroke.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion but still the same outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine for me.

Have a look at this file in the Separations Preview panel:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/20bb2f0e-bae7-42ed-678c-13850f27d264

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have a look at the file and still have a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure what im doing wrong. It looks right but still doesnt show up in the separations preview right. When I merge the graphic styles the preview doesnt look like yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share what you did?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I thought I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that you redefined white (which is no ink in Illustrator, but used for paper color), as a spot color.

Blending with a gradient between spot colors causes the problem.

Either use white (the original paper color) or use the spot with 0% transparency in the gradient.

See

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/fe7e0e07-da19-4251-5749-8087cc69af29

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so the spot white was the problem. I changed all the spot white to default "Paper" color and that worked! Thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Usually gradients between 2 spots colors are separating fine (although the preview may not match the printed result). But applying them along or across a stroke is a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines