Gradient that follows the angling of a triangle?

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a triangle shape and want the gradient that fills it to follow the angles so that you can see an equal amount of each of the gradient's colors all the way from the point to the base. (If you google images of a prism, the equal spread of colors you see in the rainbow as it expands is what I'm going for.)

Right now you can only see the middle color in the gradient at the point but all the colors by the time you reach the base.

I'm VERY new to Illustrator, so I suspect my inability to find tutorials or tips for what I'm looking for are because I just don't know the right terms yet. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct Answers

Adobe Community Professional , Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021
Try a gradient across a stroke with a width profile.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021
OK, thank you. You can do this by either blending some colored lines Or youtake that gradient on a square. Then youneed a secong square that youturn into a triangle by moving the points: Move them closer together Then Object >Make gradient mesh Move on top of the gradient and Object >Envelope > Make with top object In the envelope options turn on the linear gradients

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you perhaps post an example? A sketch?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first image is what I want: the colors follow the angle of the shape. The second image is what I'm getting: the rows of color just go straight across and "cut off" when the angle of the shape dips "below" that color's point in the gradient.

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 3.54.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-07 at 3.55.18 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a gradient across a stroke with a width profile.

gradient across stroke.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, thank you.

You can do this by either blending some colored lines

Or youtake that gradient on a square.

Then youneed a secong square that youturn into a triangle by moving the points:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-07 um 23.24.07.png

Move them closer together

Then Object >Make gradient mesh

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-07 um 23.23.19.png

Move on top of the gradient and Object >Envelope > Make with top object

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-07 um 23.23.32.png

In the envelope options turn on the linear gradients

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines