Highlighted

Gradient Tool Trouble - Illustrator 2020

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I am new to illustrator (using 2020 version) and was trying to do a tutorial that asks you to use the gradient tool. I have created my rectangle box on my artboard and picked the color I want. I then went to the tool bar on the left and selcted the gradient tool and went back to my rectangle. My tool appears with a circle with a line through it and when I click on my rectangle it does not do anything. I've tried creating new shapes and different colors and nothing has worked. Any ideas why the gradient tool would not work? Could it be a setting I need to reset? Any help would be greatly apreciated! Thank you! 

Kind Regards, 

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Gradient Tool Trouble - Illustrator 2020

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I am new to illustrator (using 2020 version) and was trying to do a tutorial that asks you to use the gradient tool. I have created my rectangle box on my artboard and picked the color I want. I then went to the tool bar on the left and selcted the gradient tool and went back to my rectangle. My tool appears with a circle with a line through it and when I click on my rectangle it does not do anything. I've tried creating new shapes and different colors and nothing has worked. Any ideas why the gradient tool would not work? Could it be a setting I need to reset? Any help would be greatly apreciated! Thank you! 

Kind Regards, 

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do first apply a gradient to the object via the gradient panel.

The object needs to be selected and you need to focus the fill or the stroke.

Not all types of gradients can be applied to the stroke.

Depending on what kind of obejct it is you can't apply a gradient or can't use the gradient tool as expected.

Please show a screenshot with the object, the appearance panel and the gradient panel if it still doesn't work.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/gradients.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines