• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient with Pantone colors

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have a gradient logo that I am trying to make as bright and rich as possible in PMS.  I'll need to supply the logo in a range of fromats (CMYK, RGB and PMS.) The best way I have discoverd to achieve a bright gradient is using Color Burn as an opacity effect on the gradient vs. multiply. Are there any watchouts I should be aware of for setting my art files up with a color burn opacity?

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 7.27.07 AM.png

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

It's not a good idea to use Pantone spot colors in a gradient fill. Like Ton said, it's very difficult to get an accurate preview on-screen versus what would actually print. And then depending on the printing output method, the result would likely just be a CMYK-based simulation of those spot colors anyway. Not many clients are going to pay substantially more money to add additional spot color plates on top of CMYK just to cover a couple colors in a gradient fill.

I personally would only apply Pa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gradients between pantone colors are hard to preview but using an effect like color burn with pantone colors will be impossible to print. 

Are you working in CMYK with the Pantone Colors and did you use Overprint Preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I have it in cmyk with overprint preview on. One more question, what about the multiply effect (vs. color burn) if I convert the gradient spot color to process, put a multiply on it & lay it over a solid color, would that print somewhat consistently? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a good idea to use Pantone spot colors in a gradient fill. Like Ton said, it's very difficult to get an accurate preview on-screen versus what would actually print. And then depending on the printing output method, the result would likely just be a CMYK-based simulation of those spot colors anyway. Not many clients are going to pay substantially more money to add additional spot color plates on top of CMYK just to cover a couple colors in a gradient fill.

I personally would only apply Pantone spot colors to a gradient if the gradient was various percentage levels of a single spot color. And I would only do that if the print job was something on the order of black and white with a single spot color added.

Really it's just better to build gradients that are purely CMYK for any kind of logo branding purposes. Then choose corresponding RGB values for versions of the logo to display on computer and portable device displays. As to the need of making the logo colors bright and rich as possible, you really have to do that while ALWAYS thinking of gamut limits with how the logo will be printed. CMYK output allows colors to be only so bright.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful. Knowing this, I think I will convert my spot colors to process. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pantone Spot Colors are opaque, so they really do not intermix.  CMYK Process Colors ( 4-Color Process ) are semi transparent in that they do intermix.  So, you can use Pantone colors in gradients, but they pretty much overlay eachother.  Not sure if you would ultimately have to apply and type of "Color Burn" or "Multiply" to the file because, unless you have the colors set to "Knock Out", they are going to "Overprint" eachother on press.  That said, whenever you venture into uncharted territories, reach out to a print service provider and pass it by them.  They can tell you where you are in the prepress matrix.  Reagardless, you should always get a contract proof ( yes, a hard copy print ) before committing to a full print run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to be contrary, but Pantone spot colors are not opaque, unless you're screen printing. The lithographic inks used to match the Pantone Formula Guide base color set (i.e. Rubine Red et. al.) are transparent... even Mixing Black. That said, gradients are almost always handled in CMYK. As a printer, my $0.02 for designers is, "Don't use gradients!" It may look great on a computer screen, but may not look so good on paper if you're expecting to match a corporate Pantone color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Pantone inks are formulas. So, I have seen the inks intermixed to create a specific color ( formulas are listed in Pantone formula guides ). Perhaps by opaque I meant spot colors typically do not interact the same on press as CMYK process colors that almost always overprint either at 100% or using tints. The point I was making is they are not the same and Pantone should be considered opaque.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines