• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grayed out tools

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help this newbie out! In Illustrator I can see a lot of tools I want to use but they are grayed out and I can't click them, however I notice I can use the keyboard shortcuts. Example: I can click L and create an ellipse, but the ellipse tool is unclickable. Why does it look like this and how can I change it? 

Thank you! 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

That isn't the toolbar. It's an option window for customising the toolbar. If a tool is greyed out there, it's already in the toolbar.

Screenshot 2021-03-18 140158.png

Tools in the toolbar are stackable. The shape tools are stacked together by default, for example. Click and hold on the rectangle tool to see the shape tools under it. (this is my custom toolbar; yours may look slightly different.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That isn't the toolbar. It's an option window for customising the toolbar. If a tool is greyed out there, it's already in the toolbar.

Screenshot 2021-03-18 140158.png

Tools in the toolbar are stackable. The shape tools are stacked together by default, for example. Click and hold on the rectangle tool to see the shape tools under it. (this is my custom toolbar; yours may look slightly different.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your reply, that makes sense! I appreciate your help 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines