• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

green guide layer that i can't turn off?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey guys

i just jumped from CS3 to CS5 illustrator and lots of suff has changed. the thing that is bugging me out right now is this guide layer, it looks like a title safe guide from after effects? anyway this is a print job so I really don't need video guides. thing is... i can't turn it off... duh. see attached screenshot. I have set the document up with 3mm bleed and then made a clipping mask to the size of my artboard, hence the red guide, this is fine. The bright green line with a cross hair in the centre is the guide that is driving me nuts, I can't actually focus on layout with this visble.

I'm sure I'm missing someting really obvious... man I feel like a doofus

i've been through all the view menu options and preferences, and searched the forums and stuff to no avail, so i thought I'd ask the world.

thanks

dan

Screen shot 2010-12-08 at 11.08.49 PM.png

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

In Illustrator cc 2017 on the Artboard set up page, under display, there is a check box for "show center mark" and "show cross hair".  These should be unchecked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Double click the artboard tool (shift+o & Enter), under "Display" category uncheck all the options.

The reason for those guides is that when you've opened your document you chose to do so from the video & film preset sizes.

btw

Your artwork should go all the way to the bleed if You intend it for printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hanokhos wrote:

btw

Your artwork should go all the way to the bleed if You intend it for printing.

In this regard if you do not have more image available you might want to resize the image as you do not appear to have enough space to resize your art proportionally if also including text and art. you might be too close to the trim, you should only increase the size of the background image and Black Bandsat top and bottom, the image should only include more width, you should not actually increase its size just add more width

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks guys this answers my question. i knew i was missing something

fundamental, i never tried starting again

regarding the image not going to the bleed, in my setup I have a

clipping mask that simulates the trim, I turn this on and off while i

work and it was on when i took the screenshot.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator cc 2017 on the Artboard set up page, under display, there is a check box for "show center mark" and "show cross hair".  These should be unchecked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you susanh5814000​...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to reset the preset in the current version? Whenever I open HDTV presets, it has a transparent background and those lines...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to reset the preset in the current version? Whenever I open HDTV presets, it has a transparent background and those lines....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's how video & film is supposed to be.

You can edit the New document profiles.

Please see the location of files here:  http://vektorgarten.de/illustrator-settings.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An old thread, but I found the solve for this...
If Illustrator artboards are set to a video preset, AfterEffects will honor the size and aspect ratio of the video artboard and not retain layer sizes. If you set up a custom template or paste into a new document as "print" with RGB color mode, layer sizes will be retained as well as perceptual color values for artwork.

Viola!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines