• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grey area around object when using 3D effect

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to apply a simple bevel to a shape I've created. When I apply the 3D effect it's applying to the entire object instead of the paths. Hopefully between that explanation and the screenshot it makes sense. 

Thank you, 

Rhett 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Figured it out. There was a drop shadow fx also applied to it. When I removed that the 3D effect appears without the grey around the entire teardrop. Thanks for the advice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3dbevel.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show the layers panel and an outline view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not quite sure about what issue you are talking here. Even your screenshot does not clarify it.

Can you clarify a bit and explain what you are doing and what is going wrong in your eyes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, Kurt. I want to make just the blue teardrop 3D but when I go to apply the effect the entire selection/object is getting the effect. In other words, I don't want any grey in the screenshot. 

This may confuse things a bit more, or maybe put it in perspective. If I use the Selection tool and click the teardrop it is "outlined" in a complete rectangle like the screenshot. This outline is the same thing that gets the 3D effect applied. However, if I use the add anchor point tool just the actual teardrop is selected without the outlined rectangle. 

It's possible I'm not understanding the abilities of the 3D effect. Can this only be used with shapes like circles, squares, rectangles? 

thanks for the help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

You can apply the 3D to any object, but maybe there is something wrong in yours.

Share your appearance panel with the object selected to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured it out. There was a drop shadow fx also applied to it. When I removed that the 3D effect appears without the grey around the entire teardrop. Thanks for the advice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, so I ran into the same problem as you when trying to use additional effects with 3D. Any advice on how to use multiple effects with 3D without having that grey box surround it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue this morning which I haven't had before - turned out that my image which is transparent on Photoshop, wasn't transparent on Illustrator, so once I sorted that out it was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines