Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Guideline snap rotation tool

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I don't know if it is possible with Illustrator where I am looking for. 
In the project I created a guideline after that I use the rotation tool to rotate my object but the object does not snap on the guideline.

These options are activated
- Smart guidelines
- Snap to point
- Snap on pixel
- Snap on glyph

Hope somebody can help me

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loek,

I believe it will help helpers help you to see a few screenshots showing the guideline and the object before and after the (failed) rotation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the reply.

I made a screenshot please see the attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loek,

You can create/use any simple vertical line and Align to it (after rotating), setting the line as key object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

Please see this attachment. I can not use the align tool because the bottom square will also move.

I am looking for a solution for snapping if I use the rotation tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loek,

Your second case with the two squares can also be done, starting the same way as your single ellipse case which is simpler.

But it is crucial to know whether you have managed to align the ellipse in the simpler case so that we can just bulild on that.

Have you managed to align the ellipse in the simpler case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Loek,

Never mind, here you can see rather simple way(s) you can use in your double square case:

A) Presuming you wish to keep the angle between the two squares so they rotate together:

A1) Group the two squares, then with the Selection Tool ClickDrag the Group by one of the leftmost corner Anchor Points to snap to the line/guide;

A2) Switch to the Rotation Tool, then Click the Anchor Point snapped in A1) to set it as the rotation centre, then ClickDrag the other leftmost corner Anchor Point to snap to the line/guide.

B) Presuming you wish to keep the two squares together and also keep the current angle/orientation of one of the squares and only rotate the other one:

B1) Select the two squares, then ClickDrag the selection by the leftmost corner Anchor Point of the square leave unrotated to snap to the line/guide;

B2) Select the square to rotate, then switch to the Rotation Tool, then Click the coinciding Anchor Point where the squares meet to set it as the rotation centre, then ClickDrag the other leftmost corner Anchor Point to snap to the line/guide.

C) Presuming you just wish to keep the two squares together and only rotate one of them if needed, you can just do the same as in B) starting with either square and rotating the other one if needed:

D) If you wish something else, such as subsequently moving/rotating either/both while keeping both squares together and snapped/aligned to the line/guide, or whatever else you may think of, please state what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines