Highlighted

Having trouble simply selecting a text box. Very strange.

Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to use the selection tool or the type tool to select another text box (besides the one I was just working on). I have to switch tools multiple times, and then eventually, with no apparent rhyme or reason, it works. I have the latest version of Illustrator and tried quitting and restarting my desktop.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Having trouble simply selecting a text box. Very strange.

Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to use the selection tool or the type tool to select another text box (besides the one I was just working on). I have to switch tools multiple times, and then eventually, with no apparent rhyme or reason, it works. I have the latest version of Illustrator and tried quitting and restarting my desktop.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an option in the Type section of the Illustrator preferences called Type Object Selection by Path Only. If that option is turned on, it sometimes can be pretty difficult to select type objects.

You may check that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response. I took a look at that and it's not checked, so not the problem in this case. Still searching!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that a general issue or does it only happen in one or a couple of specific documents?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened another doc created a while back and it seems NOT to happen there. However, I opened a NEW doc and cut and pasted some text and objects (without paste remember layers selected) from the offending doc and it happens again on this new doc.

FYI, I can work around it if I put the text in a separate layer and lock that layer, which is why I thought this might be associated with layers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may probably help if you could share a sample .ai file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the file. It's the text boxes on the number labels layer that are giving me the problem. When I select them, they prevent me from selecting other nearby text boxes, even when they don't overlap.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0