• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having trouble with the 'Divide' tool, it changes the shape of the objects rather than cutting them?

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am essentially trying to free up that little triangular corner, it needs to follow the curvature of the circle exactly (will ultimately be a guide for machining with a router) but you can see that when Divide is engaged it warps the circle and also adds fill on the lower object...

I have tried expanding the circle so its a path, I've made the circle an object, and I've tried the same approach with the underlying shape as well and no luck with any of those attempts...there are no active effects such as 'rounded corners' which should be changing these shapes...

Hopefully some setting is inadvertently engaged? I've been designing this way for a long time and it's never done this.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you already tried to disable the GPU-Preview [Strg/Ctrl]+[E] ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Yes I have tried disabling GPU preview, and have also toggled off GPU perfomance in the preferences entirely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With what result?
(If there was no change, can you upload a sample file to a hoster of your choice and link it here?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry should've clarified that the results were the same whether the GPU was enabled or not. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhpirw30ia6nbq1/divide-problem.ai?dl=0 Here i've uploaded a copy of the .ai, the tiny green circle is what i'm using to try and divide the underlying shape with.... 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

You can select the sharp corners in the number "2" by clicking on them one by one with the Direct Selection Tool and then adjusting the radius with the little circle handle to match the router bit.

The only slightly complicated corner is the one down the bottom where there isn't a sharp corner to grab but this can be also done with a workaround, eg. drawing a triangle in that corner and adjust its inner radius to match the tool.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually I just realised that the internal corner in question should be fine regardless as the router bit is cutting that from the inside and no compensation is required. I have attached an example file for you in pdf (couldn't attached the .ai).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the file.

😉

But unfortunately - I have no problem with your file (tried it with Illu 25.2.1 under Windows 10).

Sorry, I can't help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What version do you use? Illustrator 23.1 on MacOS ?

• Can you close Illustrator and restart your computer? What happens?
  • Or can you try it on another computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines