• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP!! Can't make a compound path!!!

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2010 Mar 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an experienced FreeHand user and feel like a blind guy in a maze trying to use Illustrator!! I'm redrawing the Realtor Logo which is a simple square, and inside that are a rectangle, triangle and a semi-circle with a flat edge on the left. When combined, look like the letter R reversed out of a black box. When I select the all the elements and tell it to make a compound path, only the rectangle knocks out the background square and the semi circle and triangle just appear to be grouped with the square instead of knocked out!!! I've tried everything including moving the square to the front and the back, etc. How do you find out if the semi circle I drew is a closed path? I made the semi circle by drawing a circle and a square and then using pathfinder to edit them into a the left flat edged circle. The triangle I simply drew with the pen tool. I'm lost in this program!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2010 Mar 01, 2010

Duffer,

You may do it this way:

Select all three shapes in front and the square and Pathfinder>Minus front.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duffer,

You may do it this way:

Select all three shapes in front and the square and Pathfinder>Minus front.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JACOB!! THank you so much, one of my shapes wasn't working like it was supposed to I tried for hours, your advice just saved me! Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Joseph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure all of your pieces are unfilled and unstroked and in front on the colored square. Select them all and from the Object menu choose Compound Path>Make. Place it over any background and the "R" will be that color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work? Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what way didn't the explanations give not work? Below is a version I did using my instructions.

test.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have accomplished a Compound Path. Select it, look at the Appearance Palette (Illustrator's poor excuse for an object inspector) and see what kind of object it is.

Illustrator is not nearly as intelligent as FreeHand regarding path direction. You may very well have a Compound path, but some of the subpaths need their winding direction corrected. DirectSelect (white pointer) one of the subpaths that did not become a hole, and try toggling the Reverse Path icons in the Attributes palette.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2013 Jun 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way is to have a pre-Intel Mac set up just for running Freehand.

This is because Illustrator is a total piece of sh*t. I first encountered Illustrator at Version 2 (88) and was impressed when Adobe introduced Version 3 which featured the all-new pen tool for drawing Bezier curves. Unfortunately they haven't improved anything after this point.

I'm trying to make a compound path out of three paths (the letter B) and Illustrator is just too dumb to cope with more than three paths as a compound unit. Two paths is fine. Three, no way (and yes, all paths are closed). Which is why, in the end, it was back to Freehand to do in ten seconds what I had been attempting to do for 45 minutes.

The interface is buggy, the menus are obscure, drawing and moving elements on screen is an exercise in hit-and-miss. There is absolutely NOTHING about Illfrustrator that I like. Putting it in simplest terms, working in Illfrustrator like going back to 1992.

In the end the only way Adobe could force people to buy their crap software was to eliminate the competition. Which they did. Very successfully.

"Give me Freehand or give me death!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, JET... this was the perfect solution for me. Just reversed the knockout parts and magically they, ur... knocked out.

I also miss FreeHand!!!

Chz, Brett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many years later - the same issue. What a crock of s*h*i*t and we're paying through the nose.

Thanks for your solution though JET.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a genius!! Thank you for the Attributes Palette advice (14 years ago) .... it totally worked!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Shelley Stinson  schrieb:

You're a genius!! Thank you for the Attributes Palette advice (14 years ago) .... it totally worked!!

You could have also found that in the documentation when searching for compound paths: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/combining-objects.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2014 Jun 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard,

Have you tried the Pathfinder>Minus front way suggested in the first post, with no need to reverse the troublesome paths?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue was solved in the feed but my frustration remains with
Illustrator. What on earth are 'reverse paths'?

I would never have worked this out on my own.

--
Richard Scarborough

personal details removed by moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please describe your original issue? And post screenshots?

Because there might be a completely different solution to your problem, since this thread is very old and since you might not know all the options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines