• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Unable to create outlines for an object to create an offset path

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a file in illustrator and I need to create "cut lines" around an object (a cake) for a sign printer.  I normally accomplish this by making an offset path. For some reason, the offset path isn't working.  When I select it with the direct selection tool, then add a new stroke and then select offset path under effects, nothing happens.  I think the issue might be that the cake isn't directly outlined with direct selection tool.  Instead there is a box around it. I have tried to create outlines but that doesn't work.  I have tried to make separate eps and PDF files where I have made the cake into one black object but nothing is working to make the outlines and the offset path.  Please Help! I am pulling my hair out!!!

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 1.40.02 PM.png

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Susie,

I believe it would help helpers if you could show the relevant expanded Layer(s) in the Layers palette as well as the Appearance palette. Both are mostly hidden beneath other palettes.

The birthday cake could look like a raster image, and then there is the box that cuts off the plate and parts of the flames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 2.26.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-23 at 2.26.22 PM.png 

Here are the layers and appearance pannels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like there are only placed images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines