• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with envelope distort

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to create an envelope distort with top object, despite my top object being a single path, I'm being given the message - This path requires a selection of multiple objects. The top object must be a single path or mesh, or a symbol containing a single path or mesh. Does anyone have ant ideas to get around this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Bless your soul! I was going crazy trying to figure it out. I could draw a rectangle and put a simple word like 'the' and it would display the error message. After reading your response, I sent the text to the back and brought the shape forward and it did the trick. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your 'bottom' object? Do you have both 'top' and 'bottom' objects selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Top layer is a single pathed shaped, bottom object is various objects, but these are grouped together. Both top and bottom are selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we see a screenshot of these, selected and with the layers panel open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I cannot show a screenshot. I have however put everything onto the same layer. I've tried with in a different document with an open path on top and a single shape below, this time I'm given the error - the operation cannot complete because of an unknown error illustrator [3]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you at least show a screenshot of the layers panel with the list of objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The top object must be a closed path. Is it so?
If content is sensitive, could you please to try the operation with abstract content (e.g. a random shape on top and a random group below) and make a screenshot with it and with expanded Layer panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i m facing this same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot of your selected objects. And please show the layers panel with those objects visible in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

finally got solution i am also having same issue but fixed text layer bottom of a object layer 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless your soul! I was going crazy trying to figure it out. I could draw a rectangle and put a simple word like 'the' and it would display the error message. After reading your response, I sent the text to the back and brought the shape forward and it did the trick. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Joseph for explaining what he meant. And OP m_az. Worked for me, too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, it worked after reading your comment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what was the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nuria31613538vpg4  schrieb:

what was the solution?

THe shape you want to use as the envelope needs to be in front. If that doesn't solve your issue, please post screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really works, thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using? With the current version it should work.

Are any of the objects locked?

Is the top object one single path? If you're not sure, try selecting the top object and choosing Object > Path > Join. Or, with the Direct Selection tool, select two anchor points that you think may not be joined and choose the Join command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a few years late. If someeone can solve my woes i'd be deeply grateful. Been trying to add a picture to a dog food mockup for 2 days now to no avail. I've sent it to 2 designer buddies and they couldnt help. I added a picture once and it must've been a fluke because now it isnt happening. Every picture that I've put is behind the mockup, so this isnt the issue. I've tried multiple pictures, I've looked on Youtube, I've started my computer over, I've put the image beneath, under, everywhere lol and everything online says just to put it behind. 

This is the alert I get every time: 

"This requires a selection of multiple objects. The top object must be a single path or mesh, or a symbol containing a single path or mesh."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captura de Pantalla 2021-05-12 a la(s) 7.09.39 p. m..png

 

here is a picture of the layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is that your top object is a clip group, rather than a single path as the message says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm new how do I fix this? This is how I purchased the template, didn't know I'd have to make changes to it. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The top object is a clip group, i.e. a path that is being used to clip some other object (an image perhaps?). You need the path you're using as the 'envelope' to be just a single path, not a group or some other construct.

You may need to draw your own path to use as the emvelope, or you may need to copy the path out of the clip group. I don't know what template you're talking about, so it's difficult to say.

It might be worth creating a new document and going through each example on this page to familiarise yourself with the tools before trying to unpick another file:

https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/illustrator/using/reshape-using-envelopes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Thanks for the help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem's solve is very easy!!!! 

Which layer you want to EVELOP DISTORT just this layer select--object(menu)--arrenge--send to back.

Then try!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines