• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with puzzle-like project.

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making an artwork which is pieces of acrylic that are like puzzle pieces, slotting in together perfectly within a frame, somewhat like a stained glass sun catcher, to make a rosella. The problem is, I have no idea how to actually do this in illustration correctly. Any help would be amazing 

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show an example of what you are trying to do?

Also, what have you tried so far and where are you getting stuck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

88B039BE-2BB7-44CA-BB5A-38E8A1B8A0B0.jpeg

So it will be something  like this, where all pieces fit together nicely but of course, without any solder (and just in acrylic)
I've done something similar when I've just made shapes on different layers and tried to line them up as good as I can, but there's always something that doesn't like up, and I'm not super familiar with illustrator so I have nothing to go off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming I understand you correctly, I would:

1. Draw the line art for your piece, making sure each line overlaps or intersects another (make sure Smart Guides are on to help you)

2. Use the live paint bucket (K) to fill the line art with your colours, then remove the stroke from the piece.

3. Object > Live Paint > Expand, then ungroup the result.

You should end up with a separate shape for each area that needs to be cut.

Screenshot 2021-02-17 111428.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I apologise for my poor explanation of what I needed, but I believe you've really helped me out! Thank you very much, this should work (hopefully!) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already get in contact with someone who is going to cut this for you?

If not: do that first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it is a school project and we do have a laser cutter, so yes. My teacher is quite familiar with illustrator and the cutter but I haven't seen him for some time and can't ask over email. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the parts will be cut from different pieces of material?

Basically you can just draw it in one pice, then use the live paint or shapebuilder function and then arrange the pieces for cutting. Exactly how the pieces need to be arranged (safe distance etc) needs to be discussed with your teacher if you don't know this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines