• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEX Values Keeps Changing In Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I thought maybe I could figure this issues out own my own. Am currently helping a company rebrand themselves. We just received the approved color palettes to use to start swapping out colors. Now my issue here is that I keep entering the HEX values and noticed it swapped back, of course this was brought to my attention by my boss ( who probably thinks am not using the right Hex). So I was told to enter the values separately. So when I reopened the file I thought maybe I had entered the wrong Hex. But now I enter it the probably values in RGB and CMYK in the color picker, and the hex goes into the correct one. But once I reopen the picker, it swaps it back again. I am using the latest version and even tried to look into any videos that may help. But haven't found a corrected answer. I know it maybe has to do with the color settings. So the color am trying to use is #FFD400 and it keeps switching it to #FED402. Someone please help am about to pop a blood vessel..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

HEX is an RGB color definition.

If you enter this in a CMYK document, the color will be converted using color management.

Make CMYK or spot color definitions for your print documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

"I am facing the same issue."

Are you working in an RGB document?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEX is an RGB color definition.

If you enter this in a CMYK document, the color will be converted using color management.

Make CMYK or spot color definitions for your print documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you speedy reply. I never had this issue and still trying to wrap my head around it. They keep insisting I use the HEX. So I would need to know what kind of printer they will be using? And even if the HEX doesn't match it will print in those colors if I enter the values separately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will your work be printed on a professional press (in offset)?

Or just on an office printer?

Will it be printed at all?

You and whoever is in charge of that work will need to understand all the workflows (of screen design as well as printing) and you will need to understand how color on computers works. This is nothing that can be explained in a forum post.

You could try this PDF for learning this stuff:

http://pdf.hemlock.com/CS6_PrintGuide.pdf

And then of course you need to understand color management:

Acrobat Help | Understanding color management  (this document barely scratches the surface, you'll need to read much more)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Monika. Yeah am just here providing the design for the higher ups to approve, so honestly I wouldn't see it after approval since am working for a big company. But I spoke to my lead and he understands the issue as well and saw it first hand. Am sure you are spot on, since that is what I kind of figured. But thank you for your info and providing me with those links. I'll look over it over the weekend. I just didn't want to get fired for something that I really had no control over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cesarg32888264  schrieb

I wouldn't see it after approval since am working for a big company. 

That might be an issue when the people in charge don't have a clue.

HEX colors are great for web design, but when doing vector graphics for print, you will still use CMYK most of the time. With raster files it's slightly different. But in any case color management is very important in this.

In case you have a LinkedIn Learning account, there's a training on color management over there. And a lot of stuff on print production as well.

Hope everything goes well for your project!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate all your help. Yeah well my team lead knows just we have to send this to NY from Houston so yeah its a big gap in communication. Plus it took them forever to send us a color guide let alone a style guide. But I appreciate it I will definitely look into it more over this week. And am sure they guys in NY know, it was just my boss here, who isn't really a design per say that was wondering if I was using the proper HEX. Which had me in panic mode. Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika, Those links look like good resources. Unfortunately the first link doesn't seem to work is there another one? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try this one (it's the CS5 Print Guide) or search for the CS6 one with a search engine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

I hope you were able to solve this problem. I am facing the same issue. Currently, I am working on a brand identity document that contains logos, wordmark, and other elements meant for primarily online platforms and will also be used later for offline purposes. Every time I enter a Hex code in the color selection panel, it changes. For instance, I enter  #FFC70A but after a while, it changed automatically to #FDC60F. 

It would be of great help if you could help me with this.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am facing the same issue."

Are you working in an RGB document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@preetis7502521

I can replicate that and that is how it works.

Don't enter hex code in a CMYK document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I have been able to get the correct color code was by entering the CMYK percentages on the color picker panel. 

Entering the HEX code didn't work, nor did entering the RGB percentages. This link below will show what I mean by CMYK percentages. 

https://ibb.co/2SfYy9v 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preface: So ... i work for aprox. 10 years with these programms and never had problems like this ... but recently clients keepts complaining why their colors arent exact.

Maybe i am overthinking it or the program changed and does wiered sh**

Please tell me if you can replicate this, and if you know where the problem is and how to fix it. 

So i have a RGB Document in Illustrator with applied colorprofile, for me it is eciRGB v2.

I have set up the colors as global colorfields defined in rgb / Hex ( or not, it doesnt matter, just to tell you the inital setup)  for my client that would be 255, 237, 0 or FFED00

(but i also tried it with a range of different colors, which also shift slighlty.)

now want to export the glorious work of thousands of pictograms in a precise lockup and color shema by hitting the export > export as > jpg from artboards  and within the dialog do the export settings and embedd the icc profile like a normal person would do...

But... As i (or the client who pointet the problem out to me) opens the data and messures the color the values have changed to 254, 237, 1 or FEED01, which is not much, but wont pass quality tests by any standard and lets me look like a fool.

So did i or did adobes export module mess up. and how would i export it differently

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the way jpeg compression work, it changes and throws away color information to make the file smaller. You will notice that you will get different results when changing the quality.

If you want to keep the numbers, use png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, except in Photoshop. It keeps changing my colors when I add them. The values are completely different. Please let me know if you found a solution to this. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add, I am exporting as a PNG and it's still doing it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if anyone is reading this, check that once you open your file that it doesn't automatically choose a different image mode than the one you wish to work with...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Illustrator forum, so it is better to ask your question here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/bd-p/photoshop?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Facing the same issue.

I am working on RGB document and adding rgb values while working still its getting changed after sometime automatically.

I am using 26.0 latest version.

Can someone please help me with this issue?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is your color management set up?

Which color profile is applied to the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Thanks for the reply!

Attaching the images here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which color profile is in the document? sRGB as well? Or something else?

Also: exactly how do the values change? Please embed screenshots in your posts. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its in RGB and sRGB

I am adding the values from screenshot color-03 and its converting into color-04 after reopening the file.

Thanks

Ajinkya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines