• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hide everything outside the Artboard?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2008 Mar 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm designing some business cards, which have an 1/8" bleed, along with elements that hang outside of the border of the card. Is there a way in Illustrator CS3 that I can say, "hide everything outside of the Artboard" so I can see what the finished product will look like?

I know I could print them out or output to PDF and see it without the non-Artboard items, but these approaches seem clumsy and labor intensive. I'd like it if I could have some sort of "cropped view"--where everything not on the Artboard is hidden--to work in.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Mangello. That original cropping feature was so easy to use. Wished that we could get it back.

I've worked with the above suggestions in clipping and cropping and can hide what is on the outside of the artboard, but does anyone know how to eliminate the resize and inclusion of white space when I export to another type of file (ie. JPG)?    Explaination, if my original (before mask or crop) graphic extends beyond the left side of my artboard (framed toggles of the graphic are outside the edges of the artboard), when I save to JPG it creates a white portion on the left from top to bottom in the area where the graphic was masked from. The only way to remedy this so far is to move the whole graphic inside the artboard thus messing up the desired design.

Is there any way to do a "Save to extensions of artboard only" command? Or could we have the cropping command back? It was needed for essential uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does anyone know how to eliminate the resize and inclusion of white space when I export to another type of file

Untitled-1-01.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CarlosCanto

i tried you script but kept returning errors about the getActiveArboard. So i looked into others scripts and adjusted yours a bit. I got it working again, for me on my older system it works fine in 2018 cc

I thought i shared my edit to your script

#target Illustrator

// https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/hide-everything-outside-the-artboard/td-p/1270239?page=1
//  script.name = artboardClipping.jsx;
//  script.description = makes a faux "artboard clipping mask" by drawing a box to cover everything outiside artboards;
//  script.required = an open document;
//  script.parent = carlos canto // 7/16/11;
//  script.elegant = false;
if (app.documents.length > 0) {
    var idoc = app.activeDocument;
    var ilayer = idoc.layers.add();
    ilayer.name = "ArtboardsMasks"
    var newColor = new CMYKColor();
    newColor.cyan = 0;
    newColor.magenta = 0;
    newColor.yellow = 0;
    newColor.black = 40;
    var msg = "Enter Artboard Mask Percentage Margins \n";

var margins = Number(Window.prompt(msg, 400, "Artboard Faux Clipping Mask"));
    for (i = 0; i < idoc.artboards.length; i++) {

// Source: Ladygin from the inc script file
        // https://ladygin.pro/products/lascripts/
        var activeArt = activeDocument.artboards[activeDocument.artboards.getActiveArtboardIndex()],
            rect = activeArt.artboardRect,
            artWidth = rect[2] - rect[0],
            artHeight = rect[1] - rect[3];

var igroup = ilayer.groupItems.add();
        igroup.name = "Artboard " + (i + 1);
        // var ipath = igroup.pathItems.rectangle(abtop, ableft, abwidth, abheight);
        // create rectangle
        var ipath = igroup.pathItems.rectangle(rect[1], rect[0], artWidth, artHeight);
        igroup.artworkKnockout = KnockoutState.ENABLED;
        ipath2 = ipath.duplicate(ipath, ElementPlacement.PLACEAFTER);
        ipath2.resize(margins, margins);
        ipath2.filled = true;
        ipath2.fillColor = newColor;
        ipath.opacity = 0;
        ipath.strokeWidth = ipath2.strokeWidth = 0;
        igroup.locked = true;
        igroup.hidden = true;
    }
} else {
    alert("there are no open documents");
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CarlosCanto,

Still wanted to know why your version of the script failed. It was actually a very easy fix. We just need to check which index the artboard has. You code wasnt that much different from what i added in the prior post.
I simply used the i to get the current Index number for the artboard. 

var margins = Number(Window.prompt(msg, 400, "Artboard Faux Clipping Mask"));
    for (i = 0; i < idoc.artboards.length; i++) {
        // Returns errors
        var abBounds = idoc.artboards[i].artboardRect;// left, top, right, bottom
        var ableft = abBounds[0]; // 0
        var abtop = abBounds[1]; // 612
        var abwidth = abBounds[2] - ableft; // 792 // width
        var abheight = abtop- abBounds[3]; // 0 // height
        //$.writeln(abBounds);
        // Source: Ladygin from the inc script file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps a different approach would look nicer. Is that instead of using a margin for the mask, we add a second rect the size of the full document. So we make a rectangle based on the limits then subtract or mask the current artboard.

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 14.25.25.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-27 at 14.25.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @schroef,

Please do not dig out older threads unnecessarily!

But if you really can't ignore these topics: please leave the latest information.
There is a presentation mode in the current versions of Illustrator. You no longer need a script. You can also crop the view temporarily. You can find both commands in the menu: View

To your answer in the other thread: It is true that many scripts were incorrectly adopted when switching to the new forum software. Often only the counter is missing [i]

And please don't blame the script writers from before 2016. They didn't deserve it! Their scripts worked until the changeover.

If you can, help restore and preserve the ancient treasures. Thank you

[ This thread from the year 2008 is closed now ]

[ Reasons are apparent here Illustrator preview ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this sort of job you're better off using InDesign which has Normal, Preview, Bleed and Slug view options.

For business cards you put everything that's the same on all cards on a master page and the variables on ordinary pages.

You can duplicate pages ad infinitum ā€“ a whole lot easier than making lots of artboards.

Also if you've got printing on the backs you just work with facing pages.

I used to do business cards in Illie but have long since gone over to ID exactly for the reasons you mention.

You can easily copy your Illie artwork into ID or place it linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2011 Jul 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg

If you want to see what the finished product will look like (a view say "cropped view"--where everything outside the Artboard is hidden) just try the Navigator panel. In navigator panel there ia a option in the fly-out menu: "View Artboard Contents Only" (default view), if you want to see all the objects which lie outside the artboard area and on the artboard just uncheck the option (1). Hope this helps you in your workflow.

Regards

MBMSumraat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, this was what I was looking for: just a quick was to preview what the drawing looks like without anything outside the Artboard. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 18, 2011 Jul 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 1. The artwork displayed below features a common Illustrator  file (the art elements came from the fabulous iStockPhoto folks). There  are three layers, and Iā€™ve create crop marks so you can see where the  art will get clipped. Of course, the goal is to preview the art as it  will appear when clipped. You donā€™t need to use layers, but I have used  them in my file. My only suggestion is that even if you have a single  layer, rename it to something more meaningful (like ARTWORK, etc). In  general, itā€™s a good idea to name your layers (especially since more and  more applications are beginning to recognize Illustrator layers,  including InDesign, Photoshop, Flash, etc.)

Step 2. Create a fourth layer, and name it MASK. Create a rectangle to match  the exact size of the trim size, or the area to be clipped, and apply  the None attribute to both the fill and the stroke of the path.

Step 3. A layer clipping mask works as follows: The topmost object in any  single layer becomes a mask for EVERYTHING else that exists within that  single layer. Every layer in Illustrator has a mask, and that mask is  either active or it isnā€™t. Our goal is to use the path we created in the  previous step as a mask for the three artwork layers in our file. To do  that, weā€™ll need to bring those three layers INTO the MASK layer. In  the Layers panel, simply shift click on the three layers and drag them  into the MASK layer. Make sure the path is sitting above the three  layers, as you see in the Illustration below.

Step 4. At this point, you have everything you need in order to preview your  art without the bleed. In the Layers panel, click once on the MASK layer  to select that layer in the panel (you donā€™t have to have any art  selected). Then, activate the mask for that layer by clicking the  Make/Release Clipping Mask button at the bottom left of the panel. The  button is actually a toggle, so clicking repeatedly on the button shows  and hides your clipped artwork.

An obvious benefit of this method is that you still may have some  artwork that exists outside the clipped area that you want to stay  visible all the time. For example, you may have some informational text,  a slug, or some other element that needs to remain visible online printers. By simply  creating a new layer that exists on the same level as the MASK layer  (meaning, itā€™s not a sublayer within the mask layer), the mask will not  effect that layer at all. As always, the control is in your hands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see what's so bothersome about putting an artboard sized rectangle on an above layer, giving it a big, outside, white stroke, and if multiple artboards are present and needing "masking" then make all artboard-shaped rects a compound path so each rect's outside stroke won't overlap the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2015 Feb 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One method you could use is use "Save for web" which allows cropping like this. That's what I've used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All.

For anyone who still finds this a bit too confusing - I have a VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION to this stupid software problem.

Open Illustrator File

Create a rectangle shape that is the same size as your art board, or whatever you want to be able to see.

Next create a rectangle shape that covers everything that you DON'T want to see.

Select Both objects.

Go to Object

Compound Path...

Make

Fill with whatever lackluster background color you want.

Turn off layer before you print.

Hopefully Illustrator fixes this issue.

-Alysha

Never stop creating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC has preview mode that does this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

go to view, screen, preview mode then it will only show what is on the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like I'm going blind, but I search and search...and have no "screen" sub menu in the view drop down. Is this a Mac only feature? I guess I'll check on my Mac and see. CC says I have the most up to date version of AI though... !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplist way to achieve this is by creating a top layer and making grey(or black) rectangles that mask the exterior objects.  Then lock this layer and call it "mask". Adobe really should create a feature to fix this.  Maybe they have I'm still on an older version. : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe they are talking about InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View screen is indesign only. I wish they would add this to illustrator because I use it all the time. It's so easy to hit W to toggle it on and off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you setup your artboard to the finished cut size, then export as a normalized PDF (if you have that option?), then it only reveals the artwork that is on the artboard, not anything that extends beyond the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shortcut (in mac and cc atleast) is cmd+shift+h!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, that hides the artboards themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh right! Sorry. There now is an actual option. its in view > trim view! I just made a shortcut for it myself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines