Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hoodie Drawstrings being hidden under logo

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone!

Please please please - any help with (what seems like) a simple task would be so great.

I recently got AI (not the full CC, just AI) and I'm trying to create some hoodie mockups, but the drawstrings keep getting covered up by the logo I'm trying to put in the front center. My AI skills are super limited as I've only been using it for the last few days.

I used to work at an apparel company in 2017 where I was able to do this with ease, but I completely forgot how. I remember it being super simple like pen tooling around the drawstring, cutting/cropping it, moving it off to the side, placing my logo, moving the drawstrings back and arranging them to the front, but I'm just having a really hard time getting this to work.

There was a thread on another forum I saw with similar steps to what I remember I used to do, but it was being done in PS and I cant seem to implement it on AI to save my life (see image below). I read in another forum that a clipping mask is the way to go, but as I mentioned, I have no idea how to do that with my limited AI skills.

Any help from the community would really be appreciated!

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Since the hoodie is obviously a placed photo, you could try an opacity mask.

https://helpx.adobe.com/il_en/illustrator/how-to/illustrator-opacity-masks-transparency.html

Please don't attach images in this forum, but embed them in your post. Thankyou.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the hoodie is obviously a placed photo, you could try an opacity mask.

https://helpx.adobe.com/il_en/illustrator/how-to/illustrator-opacity-masks-transparency.html

Please don't attach images in this forum, but embed them in your post. Thankyou.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Monika, thank you so much for the quick reply.

While I appreciate your response, that video seemed like an overly complicated solution for someone with my limited AI skills. I also didn't fully understand how this video translates to solve what I want to do. If I was trying to fill letters with an image, this would be helpful, but I dont see how it relates to my issue.

As I mentioned in my original post, I used to do what I'm trying to achieve back in 2017 in AI and it was super simple - no masking involved - the program just seems a bit different since then. I remember using the pen tool to trace the drawstrings, now I just need to figure out how to cut and move them to the side temporarily so I place my logo, move them back to their original place and arrange them to the front?

Noted on the embedded photos going forward 🙂

Thanks again for your reply and assistance - it is really appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You cannot move anything to the side on a placed image.

Trace the strings.

Fill the shapes with black

Group all the elements of your logo

Put the black strings on topand group both of them as well

Select the logo group and the strings group

In the transparency panel click"Make Mask"

Also in the transparency panel uncheck "Clip"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines