• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I add a hyperlink in illustrator cc and export a pdf with that link?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I add a hyperlink in illustrator cc and export a pdf with that link? I have a CTA button that I would like to add a hyperlink to and then save as a pdf with the working hyperlink. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Hi Everyone,

Over the years, retaining hyperlinks in exported PDF files has been a top user request. With Illustrator v27.6 and newer, you can now create & preserve your hyperlinks when exporting your artwork as PDF files.

hyperlink-deeplink.png

For a comprehensive guide on how to create hyperlinks within Illustrator, I recommend checking out this in-depth YouTube tutorial:

Anshul_Saini_0-1691695222081.png

Here are the steps:

1.  Open the "Attributes" panel from the "Window" menu
  2.  Click on the Hamburger menu > Show

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Hey @Cari30360013rxh1 , you need to save the PDF with the Adobe PDF Preset called Illustrator Default - at least that's what just worked for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you can !  - Select your object / the whole layer then go to palette infos / object options - in the object options tabs you can then choose if the image is clickable or not

make hyperlinks in illustrator CSSmake hyperlinks in illustrator CSS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hyperlink doesn't work when you export the final file though you can set the url in the original Ai file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is possible by just typing the link address under the object you want to make a link and hiding it under the background. Pdf will automatically understand the link. Image 1 is how it looks like in PDF. Image 2 is actual links (I put them several times to make the clickable area wider). Links are hidden under the white rectangle (background). The blue link you see is not a text, but outlines.

1.png

2.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I recently had the exact same issue. If you type the weblink as it is into Illustrator just as text, when you 'Save as...PDF' these links are automatically hyperlinked in the PDF document. Of course it's frustrating that normal text cannot be hyperlinked (Adobe please introduce this as a feature it's such a simple fix!!), but it might help. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The automatic link is a feature of Acrobat.

You are not talinkg to "Adobe" here. Please post  feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works only when a preference to create hyperlinks from URL's is checked in Acrobat.

Illustrator cannot create a working hyperlink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to copy the URL DIRECTLY from the web browser, and paste it into Illustrator. And don't change the font, cause that will break it. Also if you make it transparent it won't work. You might be able to make it white and hide it behind the text or object that you want hyperlinked. But that might break it too, if you're unlucky. WTF Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And don't change the font, cause that will break it.

By windowsxpeu@yahoo.com

It cannot be broken, because it doesn't work from the beginning.

Use Acrobat for creating links. Or use InDesign for creating a document that contains links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know and have tried but it doesn't work well on click. It's not practical and you can see it according to PDF readers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign or Acrobat this is not possible. Each time you modify the Illustrtaor file, you have to start all over again. But talking about these two products is precisely an admission of weakness for Illustrator. Indesign or Acrobat does it so why not Illustrator? This is a function that I have been asking for 20 years !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteThis is a function that I have been asking for 20 years !!!

By @StefG13

Post it on Uservoice. Find enough people who support that request.

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I do not know if this solution was previously written but for me it worked just fine using Times New Roman font and saving the illustrator file as a .pdf with Preserving Illustrator Editing Capabilities unchecked (I do not know if it is necessary). I simply copied and pasted my link into illustrator using the Times New Roman font for that link. Test it if it works with Myriad Pro font and it did not! But the Times New Roman font worked as a charm and directed me to the page I needed.

Hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I do not know if this solution was previously written but for me it worked just fine using Times New Roman font

By @TheJoyful25198406rth4

Ruining a document by introducing a completely different font into it in order to have a functionality that is built into InDesign or Acrobat (Pro) doesn't sound desirable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only used hyperlinks in InDesign and Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thanks for your valuable feedback. We have already raised this request to the Product team and would request you to upvote it on our UserVoice page.

While we are getting this fixed, here is a workaround you try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wswp38Co2Ms 

Hope it helps! Feel free to reach out if you have any suggestions or feedback or if you need assistance related to this feature.

Regards,

Srishti

How to create hyperlink image / text in Adobe Illustrator? Do you know that you can make a hyperlink in Adobe Illustrator? A hyperlink points to a whole document or to a specific element within a document. You can make clickable hyperlink in PDF with Adobe Illustrator. Inserting a hyperlink into ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There IS a way to add a website hyperlink to any place inside of an Illustrator file, save as PDF and it works.  Here's my method:

1.  Create a TEXT layer with the website address you want to link to (i.e., 'https://youtube.com')

2.  Resize the text box with your link to desired shape and place it in desired location on page

3.  Make the text a color, any color, then change opacity to 0%.  It will not be visible, but it is still there.

4.  When you flatten the document as a transparency, which you should do with all other type in your document, DO  NOT flatten your hyperlink text.  It's easiest to lock your hyperlink text layer once it's resized, 0% opacity, etc,

5.  Select ALL of document and Object> flatten transparency as you normally would, then SAVE AS PDF.

6.  Check your new PDF and the 'invisible' hyperlink will work.

7.  Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only answer that worked!!!!! Thank you so much, you save me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, every other solution went bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue, the problem is in the URL you've added in the file, and here's the solution I found:
1- make sure the URL starts with 

https://www. and almost ends with a backslash, for example, 

https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/8041710._/

2- use system-reliable fonts when you write the URL in Illustrator (for my case I used Myriad pro font)

3- save as a PDF file from Illustrator and open Adobe acrobat and check the links, you'll find them as hyperlinks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3- save as a PDF file from Illustrator and open Adobe acrobat and check the links, you'll find them as hyperlinks

By @ehab-salem

This item in your list is the only relevant item. You have probably set up Acrobat in a way that it automatically recognizes hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, but I've tried all solutions mentioned here and they didn't work, until I tried to fix the URL from this one:

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 9.06.46 PM.png

to this one

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 9.07.02 PM.png

and it works, it may not work with some people, but It works with me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat may recognize the links and some browsers/apps may too, but not all.

In Acrobat you need to go to Edit PDF and from the Link tool create the links.

Then save the file to make it permanent.

Screenshot 2022-10-17 at 21.07.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, here are the links I've added on Illustrator and export them to PDF file

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 9.20.31 PM.png

 Then I tried the same solution you mentioned

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 9.20.49 PM.png

and here are the results,

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 9.21.46 PM.png

 then I fixed the URL on this file, and it works as hyperlinks automatically, 

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 9.20.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines