Highlighted

How can I add a hyperlink in illustrator cc and export a pdf with that link?

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I add a hyperlink in illustrator cc and export a pdf with that link? I have a CTA button that I would like to add a hyperlink to and then save as a pdf with the working hyperlink. Thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Bill_Silbert | Adobe Community Professional

You can't directly create a hyperlink in Illustrator for use in a pdf but you can add hyperlinks to your Illustrator artwork using either InDesign or Acrobat. See https://www.wikihow.com/Add-a-Hyperlink-in-Illustrator for details.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How can I add a hyperlink in illustrator cc and export a pdf with that link?

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I add a hyperlink in illustrator cc and export a pdf with that link? I have a CTA button that I would like to add a hyperlink to and then save as a pdf with the working hyperlink. Thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Bill_Silbert | Adobe Community Professional

You can't directly create a hyperlink in Illustrator for use in a pdf but you can add hyperlinks to your Illustrator artwork using either InDesign or Acrobat. See https://www.wikihow.com/Add-a-Hyperlink-in-Illustrator for details.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 1
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well at this level of version, for so many years ... it's completely crazy that this is not possible !!! It is a function which is used to export PDf of a document. Illustrator has the same legitimacy as Indesign on this subject! In any case, that's how Illustrator is sold! I quote the site: "The industry-standard vector graphics software is used by millions of designers and artists to create everything from gorgeous web and mobile graphics to logos, icons, book illustrations, product packaging, and billboards."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020 0
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to make a feature request, it doesn't make any sense to do that in this forum.

Please report feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm forced to use CorelDRAW for many tasks, and, shockingly, you can attach a hyperlink to an image/text, and then publish to PDF from CorelDRAW, and the hyperlink works in the pdf file.  

I know the scoreboard looks bad for Corel, but they definitely score a few points with some software features.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, this can be done. In Illustrator bring up your Variables window. Select the the text you wish to make a hyperlink of. Then in the Variable windows hamburger menu, select "make text dynamic". Now, export your PDF. When the PDF is openened, then the hyperlink should work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 0
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, meganchi, unfortunately this is a mirage. Illustrator's dynamic text objects are not capable to do that.

Your approach is just dependent on a preference in Acrobat. It's called Create links from URLs (see general preferences in Acrobat). It may also work in other PDF applications with similar options.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 1
Advocate ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt,

I'm very confused. I do not see "Create links from URL's in my General preferences. To test out things, I created an Illustrator file, opened the variable window, made it dynamic text with hyperlink address, then saved a PDF from Illustrator. When opening that PDF in Acrobat I clicked on the link and it navigated directly to the url I specified in lllustrator. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 1
Advocate ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Illustrator 24.0.1. As you can see, I don't see the "Create links from URLs" preference in the General dialog area.

general.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 0
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

meganchi,

The option that Kurt refers to is a User-defined preference in Acrobat or Reader. I believe it is on by default but can be canceled by any user so is not a reliable method.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 1
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is only a preferences setting in Acrobat.

To make the links permanent you need to edit the PDF and save it.

Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 22.37.00.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 1
Advocate ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I see that you meant the preferences in Acrobat. Thank you gentlemen, I understand now. Many apologies for the confusion!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to add to my answer, that if you have a fancy button design or graphic object, then type out the web address with http:// included, then set it on top of your graphic object or button design, create your variable dynamic text, then change the hyperlink text fill to none. Now, when you export the PDF, they hyperlink should work when hovering over the object and the pointer changes to a pointed hand.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 1
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Kurt said, it is an Acrobat Preferences setting and works with every url typed in the document. No dynamic text needed.

Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 22.25.18.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 0
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meganchi's method will work if the text you've selected is actually the web address. If you need the hyperlink to work as navigation within the pdf then you will need the method from my first post.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you can !  - Select your object / the whole layer then go to palette infos / object options - in the object options tabs you can then choose if the image is clickable or not

make hyperlinks in illustrator CSSmake hyperlinks in illustrator CSS

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hyperlink doesn't work when you export the final file though you can set the url in the original Ai file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2020 0