• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I make a PDF that my client can copy and paste?

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make promo brochures for people. My main client used to be able to cut and paste to word from the PDFs I sent him. Now he can't and he's mad. When he tries, he gets strings of question marks in boxes in place of the text. How can I make a pdf from an illustrator file such that my client can copy and paste to word from it? I'm using all Adobe fonts common to Word, they are all embedded on my end and I don't see why they wouldn't be on his end. The one he's mad about today had calibri, myriad pro, and comic sans.

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Print and publish , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which application does he use to open the PDF?

Did you try to do it in Word? What are your results?

Is the brochure in the same language as the system?

Does he paste in Word without formatting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tested the file yourself, in Acrobat? What did you find?

Font embedding actually has no influence on text extraction. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which application does he use to open the PDF?: He used Adobe reader. 

Did you try to do it in Word? What are your results?: First try, just copy and paste, got a string of question marks in boxes. Then I copy and pasted using copy with formatting. Got mostly text, with some boxes with question marks wherever the letter "f" appeared in combination with another letter. Then I changed the font from Calibri to Myriad Pro and then tried copy with formatting and got underscores wherever the letter "f" appeared. Comic Sans worked fine. 
Is the brochure in the same language as the system?  Yes, both are in English. 
Does he paste in Word without formatting? Probably not; he's not the most tech-savvy guy int he world, but even when I did it wasn't rendering right. I don't want my clients to have to take extra steps if at all possible, if I can make their lives easy from my end. I also learned that when I printed from PDF to PDF and unchecked "rely on system fonts only" it made it so I could cut and paste smoothly on my end but I don't know if that will work on his end. 

Thanks for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Copying text from a PDF has always been a pain in the rear.

You can export text to Word in Acrobat. Maybe could be an option as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines