How can I paste a watercolor texture with white cropped edges on a dark background?

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to paste the following texture on to a black background. Please note that this texture is entirely in vector format.

Capture 1.JPG

As you can see, there are many white edges on the watercolor texture. On bright colored backgrounds, I am able to paste the texture using the blending mode Multiply, and the results blend seamlessly onto the background.

Capture 2.JPG

However on dark backgrounds, I cannot make the texture blend seamlessly enough. Here are some of the methods I've tried:

1. Blending modes does not produce produce good results. On multiply the texture disappears entirely.

2. Lowering the opacity of the texture does not make it blend seamlessly onto the background. It still has choppy white edges.

3. I've tried copy pasting the texture, desaturate it, and making an opacity mask of the desaturated texture on top of the colored texture but still no good results.

4. I tried to recolor the white portions and giving it varying opacity, but it takes a long time since this texture has 6000+ colors.

I work entirely in Illustrator. However, if anyone has a suggestion for processing the texture in Photoshop first before pasting it on Illustrator, please do so.

Any suggestions/solutions greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes no sense whatsoever to trace these textures.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How so? Do you have any other better way? I got this texture off a microstock website and it's already in vector format. I need to include this texture into my textile design.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't offer any advantages when vectorized.

There's no automatic way to get it partially transparent. You could draw an opacity mask, but I doubt it will be worth the effort.

Keep them as raster in sufficient resolution and they can be printed just as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines