• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I remove the white background of my vector?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a black and white vector image, but I need to remove the white background and only keep the black part.

Here is a small screenshot from a piece of the image:

question.PNG

I have tried ungrouping everything and individually selecting the white pieces to delete, but it seems like I've processed/converted the image type too much and there are constant hidden layers, blobs, etc. behind each piece.

Any way to just select all of the white areas when it's grouped as one and delete them?

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Select your JPG and in the Image Trace panel start with the default preset and in the Advance area, check Ignore White.

When your Expand the Image Trace object (Object menu > Image Trace > Expand), the white areas will be see through.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First go to the view menu and turn on  the Transparency Grid (Command/Control Option/Alt D)

So you can see the image on a transparent BKG.

With the Direct selection tool select only the one area and delete . But this is if it is vector already.

If it is a JPEG  you will need to eliminate the BKG in Photoshop and trace it in Illustrator!

Chana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

many thx.. ive been racking my brain til i read yoor post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try selecting an area of white

Select > Same> Fill colour

Delete on keyboard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I follow these steps, all the "White" turn black. (and i do have transparency grid on)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

When I follow these steps, all the "White" turn black. (and i do have transparency grid on)

Please create a new thread and describe your problem. We will also need to see screenshots of the issue. We can't read minds unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select your JPG and in the Image Trace panel start with the default preset and in the Advance area, check Ignore White.

When your Expand the Image Trace object (Object menu > Image Trace > Expand), the white areas will be see through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked quite well, thank you very much! My only qualm is that the picture had an extremely minor "fattening" up effect after I traced, losing some details in the areas with a lot of commotion. Only slightly noticeable and definitely better to work with now.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot of white areas that are Transparent after being Traced with Ignore White checked.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 7.50.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines