How can I trace a line or a polygons using the Pen tool?

New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
I am using the Pen Tool to quickly draw lots of lines of varying thickness, as well as polygons, next to each other. For example, I need to have a line of 2 mm next to another 2mm line, which in turn is next to a polygon. However there seem to be no way that I can exactly put these next to one another. How would you solve this? Thank you!

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How can I trace a line or a polygons using the Pen tool?

New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
I am using the Pen Tool to quickly draw lots of lines of varying thickness, as well as polygons, next to each other. For example, I need to have a line of 2 mm next to another 2mm line, which in turn is next to a polygon. However there seem to be no way that I can exactly put these next to one another. How would you solve this? Thank you!

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Also, can you provide a sketch that illustrates how exactly you are going to align your paths?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kurt_Gold. Thanks for your response.

I am using the latest Illustrator CC version 24.1

Below is a screenshot of a typical situation. 2 green polygons at the bottom, and 2 brown lines. In between these are unwanted small gaps of green peaking through, because I was not able to draw the objects completely next to each other.  In other words, when I draw, I would like my lines and polygons to be able to trace/follow each other.

Captura de pantalla 2020-05-11 a las 13.37.47.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also, select the Direct Selection Tool (A, or white arrow) click on a corner anchor point and move it on top of the anchor point you want it to coincide or place in the same place. Check that in View> Sanp to point is active. When you drag a point on top of another anchor point the arrow head cursor turns to white filled.

This tool can be used to move a segment or side, acroos another shape. Or else use the Pen tool to place it on the stroke and hold Alt, you will bend, curve that straight side enough to overlap or fill an empty area in between.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elias,

Both the polygons and the lines are somewhat irregular in shape; there is also a brown gap between green parts.

To avoid gaps with such shapes you will need a certain overlap, but I am afraid there is no other viable way than your moving them about to fit closest to what you want.

Or use straight lines/boundaries, in which case Smart Guides are your friends: they can tell you when one (slanting) line is within snapping distance of another one that is at the same angle.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want edges to fit perfectly, reuse the existing edge:

tromboniator_0-1589241964321.png

Peter

PS: Hi, Jacob!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you for sharing extensively some solutions!

The reason why a "trace" or "follow" line/object-option would be so effective for me is that as I am drawing  I could instantenously could choose this option. There would be no fuzz working with different layers, measuring with my eyes,  splitting lines etc. Instanteously I could get that effect without having to do any extra work.

In my workflow as an urban planner I draw hundreds of these lines and polygons, symbolising streets and buildings, and often I have to readjust them, or drew new lines, in no particular order. So a "trace"-option would be a feature that I would greatly appreciate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter. Pier One still empty?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very. No season.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
Resources