• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I access the eyedropper from the color picker tool?

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to access the eyedropper tool from the color picker tool? Basically, I want to be able to double click the fill swatch on the left toolbar and use the eyedropper to pick an existing color on screen.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/use-color-picker.html

color-picker-step4_725x450.png

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Double click the Eyedropper in the toolbar to tell what to pick up and what to apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you press "I" you get the eyedropper and can pick up any color on screen. That color is then the current color. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, but if I then select a shape to apply the color I picked with the eyedropper, the fill swatch replaces that newer color with whatever the current fill of that shape is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you first select a shape and use the eyedropper it will fill the shape with the color you picked.

If you did not select a shape and picked a color with the eyedropper, just drag the color  from the toolbar fill or stroke onto the shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed when I select a shape and then use the eyedropper, it picks up both the fill color and the stroke width and color of the other shape I used the dropper on. Is there a way to prevent this?

With the second approach, where you drag the color from the toolbar fill, that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click the Eyedropper in the toolbar to tell what to pick up and what to apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that was useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines