• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I center one object relative to a folder full of objects?

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two folders. They each contain a half-circle that visually combine to make a full circle. 

I have another square shape that is outside of those two folders. I would like to center this square shape to the "circle" made up of the two aforementioned folder. So visually the result should be a square perfectly centered to the (visual) shape of the circle. 

If I were using Photoshop, I would put both folders containing each half-circle into a parent folder. Then Photoshop treats those individual pieces a whole for purposes of alignment and centering. Illustrator seems not to do this unless there's some toggle or something I need to apply. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Maybe this helps:

https://youtu.be/E7WQlm5JpNw

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you group the two half circles and then you can center the square with them as if they were one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply; your recommendation unfortunately does not achieve a different result than what I've already tried. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you changing the paramater for alignment from page to selected objects? Perhaps post an image of what you are trying to do including your layers panel, maybe I am misunderstanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean with "changing the paramater for alignment from page to selected objects". ...?

Attached are example images that show what I mean when the circle halves become overlapped when centering relative to the square. 

Before.pngAfter.pngLayer Setup.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not grouped the circle pieces as suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, I reliaze my mistake now. See my comment on the post marked Correct Answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this helps:

https://youtu.be/E7WQlm5JpNw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you. Believe it or not I'm not a novice user but this is the first time I've seen "group" differentiated from simply putting multiple objects in a single "layer". This is tremendously helpful and I apprecaite the time you took to demonstrate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad that you got it to work. Yes, a layer does not work like a group and now that you understand that, a lot of things will work better for you. Happy Holidays!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines