• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I continue a path with the Pen Tool?

Participant ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I continue a path with the Pen Tool?

I made  a shape with the pen tool but did not close it. I made some other shapes afterwards and then went back to the shape. When I try to continue adding anchor points, to the shape that is not closed, it adds as a new layer , meaning it does not continue and close the shape that I made before.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

There are multiple ways how to solve the problem. The fastest approach is using the Direct Selection Tool to select the two anchor points of the open path and join them using the Ctrl+J(PC)/Cmd+J(Mac) keyboard shortcut, or going to Object Menu>Path>Join.

You can add to an existing open path using the Pen Tool using a couple methods. If the open path is selected you should be able to switch to the Pen Tool and click on an end point of the open path. Or you can have the Pen Tool in use, hover over

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are multiple ways how to solve the problem. The fastest approach is using the Direct Selection Tool to select the two anchor points of the open path and join them using the Ctrl+J(PC)/Cmd+J(Mac) keyboard shortcut, or going to Object Menu>Path>Join.

You can add to an existing open path using the Pen Tool using a couple methods. If the open path is selected you should be able to switch to the Pen Tool and click on an end point of the open path. Or you can have the Pen Tool in use, hover over an unselected path and toggle Ctrl/Cmd to select the path and then append new points to the path. If Smart Guides are turned on an unselected path and its points will light up and allow the Pen Tool to add more points to it automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried what you said but could not get it to work. I don't remember which points are my endpoints, so when I click to join two anchor points that are not endpoints, it says I am not allowed to do that. 

I tried the other two ways and could not get it done either. I might, hide my shape, and try to make it over and try the 1st method you said. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to make the shape over without needing to join it, as if I worked on it then came back to it later. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been working on a new Pen Tool trace today and everything seems to be working fine so far. If I run into problems I'll try your methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines