How do I create a repeating pattern from my fish asset to create the repeating pattern below?

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really struggling to find the correct configuration to make the repeating pattern in the image using the pattern maker in Illustrator.  I also need to create a pattern tile that is 300mm x 300mm to send to the client. 

Coii fish.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is the offset. Illustrator will only allow you certain offsets so that the tile doesn't get too big. You will have noticed that your example tile doesn't repeat. Can you please show a screenshot of your design inthe pattern editing mode?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Okay, I kinda figured out how to get a repeating pattern but not at the angle that I need. I still need a single tile for export at any size or dimension. You can see in my image that I have the repeating pattern and I managed to get a tile, by dragging the swatch onto the artboard and using the rectangle in the pattern to clip it. However, the pattern is at a straight angle. You'll see under that is the pattern and angle that I want. There's also a pattern tile example on the right that someone helped me with a while back, that's pretty close to what I need, but I don't know how to get there. 
Below is my current design in the pattern area.Example pattern.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I already wrote last year, it might be impossible to get a certain angle at all. You might be referring to wrapping paper. They have special (expensive) software to produce that.

You can create a horizontal angle pretty easily in Illustrator and then apply the pattern and rotate it inside the object. But you want the angle directly inside the repeat, right? Other than fiddling around with the settings in the pattern panel, there's no way.

There is a plugin for this that might perhaps help you better: SymmetryWorks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your response. Apologies for the late reply too, something came up last year, and I totally forgot about this project, and I had to revisit this now.
Yeah, it was easy enough to rotate the pattern inside the object. Well, I wouldn't necessarily have to have it inside the repeat itself, I mainly need to have a single tile that can be saved as an image to send to the textile printers. 
I checked out Symmetry works, but it only gives me one setting in the demo. 

If you notice the pattern example, someone was able to get it pretty close to what I needed, but I can't get hold of that person now. I'll show you their instructions below, I tried so many times, but I don't really understand exactly what I should do. Perhaps you could decipher their instructions better?  (Also at the time I needed my tile to be exactly300x300 but now it can be any dimension)

Untitled-1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid this is not the case for normal AI Pattern editor. AI needs at least one straight direction, but your sample has offsets by both X and Y. So, the closest possible results are HEX by columns (and adjusting the pattern box size) or Bricks by Columns with offset 1/5. They both are not exactly what you need. 😞

patt.jpg

You could try some pluginst, something like Random Pattern Pro or similar

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Hung creations AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I've tried so many possible combinations. I'll see if there are some similar plugins available.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines