Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I edit this sample text?

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Is it possible to edit this sample text from a licensed Adobe Stock logo?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not with the type tool, since it is composed of shapes, not 'text' as such.

I would save the appearance as a graphic style (drag the Compound Path 'Diamonds' to the graphic styles panel), type your own text, delete 'Diamonds', then apply the style to your text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Unfortunately I've had no luck following your instructions.

On to plan B.  Any idea how to remove the solid white background?  I'll delete the text and export the graphic as a PNG, before adding my own text using PS (I'm a lot more comfortable using PS).

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To apply a gradient to text, you have to select the text using the selection tool. Then in the appearance panel first set the original fill to "None" apply a new fill to the text object and apply a gradient to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sure I can't select the text.  It's not editable as Doug mentioned.  

Not really sure why someone would upload a logo that's excruciatingly difficult to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select the text, delete it and add your own.

People create things like this because, for the most part, you can't include fonts in stock files. So they outline the text. I agree they're not especially useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm completely out my depth here.  My experience is all within PS as a photographer.  I have no idea what I'm doing with AI.

I can't even as much as select an object.  I can't drag that into the graphics style panel.

I'm pretty sure the white background is baked in, as opposed to it being the artboard.  If that's what you meant.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Flm6-q7__J_nhPlTHbreFxEXl4S0rxMS/view?usp=sharing

There's the file if that's any help.  If that breaks any licensing rules, I'll remove it.  But I'm sure it'll be fine if you're just taking a look, then I'll remove the link.

Thanks again Doug.  You're a star.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few problems with this file that make it tricky to edit.

The white background is indeed a shape, listed here in the layers panel (I have ungrouped the lot for simplicity):

Screenshot 2021-06-28 111254.png

You can just select it and press delete.

I was thinking you could save the gradient and use it on your own text via graphic styles initially. But at some point the gradient has been converted into an image (see the compound clipping paths at the top). Which means it either wasn't created in Illustrator or has been through some other kind of file type at some point for this to happen. It also means the gradient isn't much use to you if you want to use it elsewhere, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can be done is release all these clipping masks, delete all those images and then apply new gradients:

1. Select all

2. Object > Clipping mask > Release (you need to do that 2 or 3 times)

3. Select one of the paths (which has no fill and no stroke)

4. Select > Select same > Fill and stroke color

5. Copy and paste into a new file

6. Delete the text that you don't want

7. Object > Compound path > Make

8. Type a new text

9. In the Swatches libraries open the gradients, there is a metal library in it. Apply one of those. Edit to your content.

Report that file to Adobe Stock. It's just bad quality. You can link to this thread in order to get the explanation across: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/bd-p/stock?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're more familiar with it, can't you just open it with PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which part are you having trouble with? See Monika's more detailed instructions.

Is there actually a white background (i.e. an object you can select) or is that the artboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a white background path, and "BUSINESS COMPANY" is a compound path with a simple gold fill. All the rest is paths and compound paths in nested clipping groups over raster image rectangles of gold gradients. You can release the "DIAMONDS" clipping mask, generate whatever type you want, outline it, and use that as a clipping mask over the gradient image; or you could apply a gradient fill to new type according to Monika's instructions. All of the existing closed paths (deleting the rectangles and the gradient images) that are now clipping masks could have gradient fills applied to them as individual paths, groups, compound paths.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines