• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I export a 300ppi JPG from Illustrator

Participant ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm not sure why this seems to be an ongoing problem, but here it is...I feel like I am just missing the secret....?

an example situation:

I need a 3x5 image at 300ppi to submit to a magazine.

(they specify the file needs to be 3x5 at 300ppi, so no making a "save for web at 72ppi" with some multiplication math to make it larger- they don't want that)

I create my layout in illustrator using a photo, text etc, with my artboard at 3 x 5 and my raster effects set to 300.  

I use the "export as:" and I get the following dialog box (see attached)

I choose 300ppi, all good. then i go to check out the image in my bridge and voila: 72ppi.

why?

I know that in photoshop, the only way to achieve this - is do a "save as" and save as a jpg to retain the 300ppi setting. this does not work in illustrator. what for the love of adobe is the secret trick in illustrator? 

anyone? appreciate the help. so sick of this continual issue!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

To double check, open the JPEG you exported in Photoshop and look under Image > Mode. This will be the actual ppi from the file, if it is there, or some default (72 ppi? 90 ppi?) if it is not there. Disappointing if Bridge can't mange this simple trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Photoshop > Image > Image Size will show the actual resolution.

But there seems to be a difference when the jpeg is exported as CMYK or as RGB.

When exported as CMYK, Bridge shows 72 ppi, and when exported as RGB it shows 300.

It may be an Illustrator problem, (re)saving the CMYK file in Photoshop shows the file in Bridge as 300 ppi instead of 72.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

It is probably a Bridge problem, placing the "72" ppi file in Illustrator shows 300ppi in the links panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge is wrong, Photoshop is right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To double check, open the JPEG you exported in Photoshop and look under Image > Mode. This will be the actual ppi from the file, if it is there, or some default (72 ppi? 90 ppi?) if it is not there. Disappointing if Bridge can't mange this simple trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop > Image > Image Size will show the actual resolution.

But there seems to be a difference when the jpeg is exported as CMYK or as RGB.

When exported as CMYK, Bridge shows 72 ppi, and when exported as RGB it shows 300.

It may be an Illustrator problem, (re)saving the CMYK file in Photoshop shows the file in Bridge as 300 ppi instead of 72.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is probably a Bridge problem, placing the "72" ppi file in Illustrator shows 300ppi in the links panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is true, i checked it. what a weird bridge issue! thanks!

Hey adobe, please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines