• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make Illustrator the default app?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a few similar apps for vector artwork, but I prefer that Illustrator be the default app for opening files (right now another app that I like for freehand drawing is the default, but I use Illustrator much more for most files). 

Anyone know how to set Illustrator as the default, so all AI and EPS files open in Illsurtaor?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Select any AI file and press Command + i and the Info window will open. In the Open With section, choose Adobe Illustator and press the Change All button. Repeat for EPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

OK, I figured it out. Had to locate a AI file on my Mac (and NOT open Illustrator first), and then click Command + i.... it worked!

Thanks again.

Now, if I can find the "Solved" button......

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select any AI file and press Command + i and the Info window will open. In the Open With section, choose Adobe Illustator and press the Change All button. Repeat for EPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If an answer is correct, please mark it as correct. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I might not be doing this correctly because that option did not appear. Do I launch and open Illustrator and then press Command + i ? When doing that, there is no "Change All" option,

OR, do I open an AI file in Illustrator and then try Command + i? 

I might need screenshots to find this. I am a very slow learner on Adobe products and have a difficult time finding many hidden actions/menus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I figured it out. Had to locate a AI file on my Mac (and NOT open Illustrator first), and then click Command + i.... it worked!

Thanks again.

Now, if I can find the "Solved" button......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this, just solved my headache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines