• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I save a gradient to the Library?

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried doing it from a saved swatch but it does not give me the library option in the swatch panel when I highlight that swatch.

thx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can’t save a gradient swatch to a CC Library, but you can save an object that is filled with the gradient to a Library. Create a shape, apply the gradient to the fill color, then add the graphic to the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Theresa said; if you want also a gradient swatch in your Swatches panel, first create that swatch and then add the graphic with the gradient to the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not work very well.

This may not ever reach anyone but I really recommend Adobe to make it easier for gradients to be used through Libraries.

I'm having to open other Illustrator files to copy and paste the gradients over into new documents. It's a drag.

Why not add the feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,

We completely understand your concern. I would request you to please share a feature request here at our Adobe Illustrator Feedback form. This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree. The first thing I want to save usually is a gradient because they take so long to edit and get right. Saving the object that has the gradient doesn't give the flexibility of how a gradient changes upon use case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I you first save your gradient to your swatches panel, it will be automatically added there in new documents if you follow these steps.

Global colors, gradients and pattern swatches are not supported in CC libraries.

But as a workaround you can drag an object filled with a pattern/gradient/global color to the CC Library 

You can also drag multiple items filled with different patterns/gradients/global colors together into a CC library to simulate a library.

The easiest way to add them to a new document is to hold down the Alt key when you drag them from the library and place them in a new document. The patterns/gradients/global colors automatically get added to your swatches panel.

You can hit escape before you click to place the object(s) or delete the dragged library items because the swatches are now part of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines