• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I stop white patches from appearing after using an effect in Illustrator?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I create a shape then apply an effect to it, the gaps where the effects have taken place are filled in by white and no matter what I try, I just can't seem to get rid of them. All I want is to create an effect on a shape (e.g. Spatter) with the result of having transparent edges and not white ones, does anyone know how to resolve/fix/do this?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Sorry, I realized after posting that you are applying a Photoshop effect within Illustrator. Therefore, the vector shape is being converted to a raster image.

A way around that is after applying the effect, select the object and choose Object > Rasterize. Then use the Image Trace command in the Properties panel. Open the Image Trace Panel and expand the Advanced section and put a checkmark on Ignore White. Back in the Properties panel, click on Expand. 

That will get you back to a vector shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's because you are applying a Photoshop effect within Illustrator and the vector shape is being converted to an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? I am using Illustrator so that's weird. Here is another screenshot where the white edges appear with the effect:Adobe Screenshot Help.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I realized after posting that you are applying a Photoshop effect within Illustrator. Therefore, the vector shape is being converted to a raster image.

A way around that is after applying the effect, select the object and choose Object > Rasterize. Then use the Image Trace command in the Properties panel. Open the Image Trace Panel and expand the Advanced section and put a checkmark on Ignore White. Back in the Properties panel, click on Expand. 

That will get you back to a vector shape. Of course, it will no longer be an effect. Since it will not be editable as an effect make sure it looks the way you want before following this procedure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After following this and fiddling around with a few settings, I'm happy to say it worked, thank you so much, Babara, you've been great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's gratifying -- I'm so glad it worked for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines