• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I turn off scrubby zoom in Illustrator CC2014?

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's bloody annoying, and I'd just like the marquee style highlight area to zoom back

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 14, 2014 Nov 14, 2014

it is in Preferences -> GPU Performance, you have to uncheck "Enable Animated Zoom"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand what the "Scrubby zoom" is. Is that when holding option/alt and scrolling with center mouse wheel?

I just cmd/spacebar drag. Seems to work the same as always for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you're not talking about Photoshop? I wasn't aware Illustrator had scrubby zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like it's a new experimental feature in AICC2014. Look in Preferences/Experimental Feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KrisHunt‌ Of Course AI CC 2015 has scrubby zoom. Otherwise this thread wouldn't be here. Stop commenting if you don't know what you're talking about. People like you make forums painful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

762MM wrote:

KrisHunt Of Course AI CC 2015 has scrubby zoom. Otherwise this thread wouldn't be here. Stop commenting if you don't know what you're talking about. People like you make forums painful.

when Kris posted that, we were talking about CC2014, which had only been out two weeks, and introduced scrubby zoom as an 'experimental' feature, under a different name. it would not be unreasonable under those circumstances to think a user might be talking about PS, since that's what it's actually called there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 17, 2016 Jun 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's spreading like a cancer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine started after I did an update on Illustrator! I hate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else looking for the solution:

go to >edit > Preferences > Experimental Feature

Uncheck "Enable Animated Zoom" - this is "scrubby zoom" as photoshop users know it.

Uber annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2014 Sep 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about Mac users, Experimental Feature is not available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best Answer. Works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 8 and I don't have Experimental Features under Preferences either! This is driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2014 Nov 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is in Preferences -> GPU Performance, you have to uncheck "Enable Animated Zoom"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2015 Feb 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the answer right here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that was making me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!! I HATE that so many new features are turned on by default. Fricken annoying as hell!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that my overall workflow is slowed down extremely by all these new features that I need to bypass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sir are a god. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It saved what was left of my sanity

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the solution - silly feature, particularly given that it disabled the window zoom! 

Meanwhile I once asked Adobe why Illustrator and Photoshop didn't have the same shortcuts (leading on from why do they call scrubby zoom 'animated') - the response was that they were two completely different departments within Adobe - I got the feeling they don't talk to each other. At all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

You Rock!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU LORD! Ain't nobody got time for the scrubby zoom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zaTs-A-s wrote:

Boom. Bravo and thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I turn off this feature I started having issues with the rules / lines and how they are being rendered - then I turned off the "GPU Performance" . . end result is utter crap - all my rules look jagged at any resolution (100%, 200%, etc) . . Adobe is working on the issue - anyone experience the same issue ? . . add to that the fact that when I installed 2015 CC, if removed my 2014 CC so now if I want to work on my file under the previous version I have to find a way to re-install CC2014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I turn off this feature I started having issues with the rules / lines and how they are being rendered - then I turned off the "GPU Performance" . . end result is utter crap - all my rules look jagged at any resolution (100%, 200%, etc) . . Adobe is working on the issue - anyone experience the same issue ? . . add to that the fact that when I installed 2015 CC, if removed my 2014 CC so now if I want to work on my file under the previous version I have to find a way to re-install CC2014

Oh that's weird. I had issues with the GPU settings on the 2014 release, I turned them off to get my lines looking normal again. But it sounds like you're having the opposite result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines