• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you align corners of objects to each other?

Participant ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS 10.14.6; Adobe Illustrator v. 25.2

I have three curved shapes, which are different colors, that I need to align exactly along their edges and corners. The alignment tools obviously won't work here. I can see gaps between the shapes but when I zoom in to try to precisely line up the edges, the anchor points jump over each other and seem to be repelled by each other. I've tried activating and deactivating Smart Guides, playing with the tolerances, etc., nothing works. Each of the objects is a path with no stroke and a solid fill. I tried to convert the paths to shapes but get the message "Object not converted." See the screenshot below, all three corners should align to one point. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 11.44.37 AM.png 

Also, this may or may not be related: I'm also finding that I have to select objects in the layers panel in order to activate them, that is, I am unable to select objects by clicking on them...sometimes. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Turn off snap-to-grid, turn on snap-to-point

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way would be to use the Direct Select tool to select all the points and then use the keyboard shortcut Cmd (Ctrl) + Shift + Option (Alt) - J to move all the points to the same place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply! Unfortunately, that didn't work. Below is the message that I got. Since these are closed paths, there are no endpoints to select.

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 12.44.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off snap-to-grid, turn on snap-to-point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This, in addition to a few other things, solved this problem. The 'snap-to-grid/pixel/point' is found at bottom of the View drop-down menu.

I found that my shapes were open paths, that I had to first select the object, then go to Object > Expand, then go to Pathfinder > Unite to close the path.

I also found, in Preferences > General > Keyboard Increments, that I could greatly decrease the nudge increment to values less than 1 pixel, then use the arrow keys to nudge the object into place.

Thank you to all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines