Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you convert a jpg to a eps file

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can place the jpg in illustrator, do a save as and choose .eps.

Often when people ask for .eps files, they want them to be all vector paths. I would look into that. If they do, then the best you can do is to convert your bitmapped .jpg into vector art by using the Illustrator live trace feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been my experience that ther term ".eps file" can cause confusion for reasons similar to what Mike states above.

However, I usually tell clients when they ask me," What type of file should I ask them for to give you? Is ESP OK?".

Probably so, but maybe not used to be the answer; depending. The point here is this. There are two types of eps files. There is the bitmap version where any bitmap image is saved as an eps out of any image editing software capable of doing so. Then there is the common vector type of eps that works so well across platforms and various vector software drawing apps. Both I'm afraid, end in .eps. The bitmap ones I spoke of earlier were great back when a print program like quark needed the extra, vector clipping path layer in order to have custom transparency around an isolated part of an image, persay an apple. One would go to photoshop with the bitmap tiff image for instance, create a clipping path and save as an eps. Then upon import the path was usually backwards (if you have luck like me) and there would be a square or rectangle with a transparent hole where the apple should have been with no background showing in the preview. Over the years, I've become quite adept at logo redraws, so if you need a vector eps of a custom logo that you have in jpg or jpeg format; I could lock it down and re-create it to be nearly undetectably different.

NEXTAFF_prelim_logo_redraw.jpg
When enlarged, the image above will show the low rez logo locked down, gridded out and drawn over the top of. When finished, one can make clean vector art and have full control of the elements like the design with the orange background in the lower right.

If you could show the jpg and tell me what the other file is for; I'd have a clearer view of what the use was and thus likely what the scenario is. The only thing I would say made me comment was that I didn't want anyone to think that auto-tracing a bitmap is the only option.  It is a flip of a switch; albeit there are some parameters one can set to get a better desired result that should be experimented with. But the actual font match, custom shape drawing and correct building of the paths in vector art to re-draw a logo while being true to it's original intent is a fine art and should only be done by one who appreciates the extreme attention to detail so that you don't get a jsut add computer designer newbie that gives you back Georgia, rather than times or kerning that is off or white patches, rather than correctly compounded paths in order to have transparency or the look of it till you set it on top of another item (like in the counter-space of a P for instance). Or, if this re-draw option is not part of your original question; then I apologize for the tangent.

However, if it is the case since in this day and age I can't really picture anyone having to have an eps file as an alternative to jpg for any other reason than the vector reason Mike above correctly states then this image I'm uploading is very valid. So many times a client unknowingly does not have a good copy of their logo. To them the term, Vector might as well be Victor. In fact, that would be more user friendly since it would at least sound familiar. They bring in a low rez bitmap for an application that requires vector, such as for a vinyl sign to be made or with a screen-print job where the artist cares about the quality that comes out and prefers to work with vector art as opposed to 72 dpi images in rgb mode or scans of a printed piece with artifacts and such in them. The logo needs to be redrawn, or re-acquired from another source in the right format if it existed in vector before. If it is too old or hand done, then that is when a combination of hand draw and auto trace with care for the settings can come into play nicely for the client and the desired results. The problem is, it is not a switch that you merely flip. The client is already looking at the fee for the end product. In some cases; so is the vendor that needs the vector; from the other side of the fence of course. So now, nobody will get nor do a "good job" without it. Q.) How do you get it? A.) One of the ways mentioned above. _ And again, here lies the problem... Some ppl think they can just do a save as command and get around having to spend money on the conversion. They think that their sister in law has photoship elementraries and will be able to take an e-mailed jpg and convert it, shoot it back and thus get them around a re-draw logo fee or paying for the time involved to get the good Victor file so they can get their softball shirts by sat. Why tell this descriptive story and purposly misspell a few words above you may ask? Because every time some cheapskate client does that to a person who does know and does care and can re-draw it correctly if need be, but for a fair price; they waste enough of the service person's time that they should have gotten charged for the lesson in vector artwork. I had made a sign once that worked rather well showing extreme closeup breakouts on the edges of the art to reveal the closeup difference between vector vs. bitmap so it was easy to point to and see while explaining.

If they really ust need a bitmap eps, then a program like photoshop or gimp (freeware) or any image editor worth its salt should do it. But that is just highly unlikely. Hope this detailed explanation with a bit of real world experience helps as I've seen it over and over. I could also post a pic of a log that would be considered a fairly good canidate for auto trace first, adjustment of vector line later, as well as a version that is a prime candidate for straight up tracing to get great results with the right settings of course. But maybe that will be for a different time. Or available upon request. have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2016 Feb 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome response Tyson, I'm particularly fond of ...

"Some ppl think they can just do a save as command and get around having to spend money on the conversion. They think that their sister in law has photoship elementraries and will be able to take an e-mailed jpg and convert it, shoot it back and thus get them around a re-draw logo fee or paying for the time involved to get the good Victor file so they can get their softball shirts by sat. Why tell this descriptive story and purposly misspell a few words above you may ask? Because every time some cheapskate client does that to a person who does know and does care and can re-draw it correctly if need be, but for a fair price; they waste enough of the service person's time that they should have gotten charged for the lesson in vector artwork."

Cheers

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really Donna, Mere useless ramblings from where I sit. May be true but doesn't help with the task at hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And what is the task at hand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines