• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you edit at eps file in Illustrator or Indesign?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

So I received a DVD with an eps file on it from a graphics company. I was informed that I could open it in Illustrator and start editing the individual graphics within the file. But when I open it, it is just one image and won't let me edit it.

There are no locks on the image layers.

The graphics company told me that it was originally created in Indesign and then saved as an eps, so I don't really know what to do now.

It won't open and let me edit in any of the Adobe programs.

Please help! I need these graphics to edit!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a select > all > object > unlock all?  If it is a raster image ( .tiff, .png, .psd, etc. ), you won't be able to edit it.  Look through your folders to see what other files were included, including fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPS is not the best file type.

EPS if it is not created in Illustrator is not supposed to be opened in Illustrator. Opening an EPS from another source in Illustrator will make damage to that file, the same is true for PDF files too.

EPS can contain raster images or vector images. I think you have raster images.

EPS does not support transparencey, if someone uses EPS, transparency effects might rasterize vectors.

Other information we would need: Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Why do you want to open the file? What do you want to do with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was informed that it was designed in Indesign, which is horrible because it is a banner and Indesign isn't the correct program to use for desiging art pieces like that. I usually use Illustrator for artistic purposes.

I am using Illustrator CS6.

I want to open the file because I need to pull high quality graphics off of it so I can design a new banner. The company I work for does not have those files. They were supposed to be on the DVD the graphics company gave us, but all they gave me was an eps file and a pdf. Super useless at this point I feel.

So mainly, I just need to pull the individual images that are on it and make them each seperate files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't know without testing what an indesign EPS would act like in illustrator, but have you tried the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For banners and posters InDesign ist the best choice. If you have problems that is only why because you don't know that program well enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 02, 2014 Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem (which led me to your post) and ended up finding the solution on my own…

Open your Layers palette and just click the Lock to the left of that layer to Unlock it.

Worked for me! Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, open it in Photoshop , (if it's raster} alter colourings , export to illustrator as vector and back to eps.Or cut to individual....nah too hard, do the first way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to make sure the file is not linked when you place it in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm three years too late, but try opening the file rather than placing it. It worked when I had this same issue. Hope you're doing well, three years later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you McKenzieD!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening an EPS from a different program than Illustrator can cause damage as Illustrator is NOT a common EPS or PDF editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, mckenzied, thanks so much for bothering to post. I had the same issue and was going slightly crazy trying to figure out what was wrong. Opened the file from Illustrator instead of dragging and dropping and suddenly saw an editable file with layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it was a placed graphic, you can go to the Links palate and use the options pulldown (the small tab at end with arrow and 3 lines) to "embed image(s)" and if they are editable eps objects they will crack/unlock and you can edit the elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, from the future, as it still works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! It worked. ^-^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can't belive this worked >.<

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works, thanks for your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WOW, 6 Years later and this helped me! thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just figured it out! Use the "Edit Original" option.. It will open a new window in Illustrator and then you can ungroup if needed and use the selection tool etc..   ðŸ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Take a look at the following article to move designs between Photoshop and Illustrator for a different workflow that suits your design objectives: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/move-designs-between-photoshop-illustrator.html

Also, if you are looking to work with Illustrator design in Photoshop? See this: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/use-illustrator-artwork-in-photoshop.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines