• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to apply gradient to one segment in infinity symbol?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newb Q here:

I've drawn black infinity symbol, "∞", with the ellipse and line tools.

I'd like to make it so that one of the crosshatches fades from black to transparent and back to black again, but I'm so rusty, I'm not even sure how to begin tackling this problem.

How do I apply the gradient to just the one line segment?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience!

Thanks in advance for your help!

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

You could also try expanding the cross hatch and the using a Graident Mesh Tool:

This will ultimatley give you more control in regards to your colour application.

Be sure to duplicate the original shape first.

Here is a cool tutorial that explains the freeform gradient and the Mesh Gradient Tool very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJlffeGkmo

Hope this helps,

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

A basic gradient on (along) stroke:

grad.png

And if you have just one stroke and need to split or cut it, use Scissor Tool (C) clicking on the stroke or line.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

If I understand you correctly, I believe that Jacob's (Hi, Jacob!) suggestion A is the way to go. Leave the shape in separate segments or join the parts that are not involved in the gradient portion. Select one of the crossing segments and apply the gradient along the stroke. I went from 100% black to 0% white and back again to be sure that the black would vanish completely. I used colors just to show the separate segments.

Petertromboniator_0-1591438767406.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VowelMouth,

Any answer rather depends on the way you wish it to look, in detail, and on (lack of) requirements.

"How do I apply the gradient to just the one line segment?"

Here are a few (im)possibilities:

A) If there is no closed path requirement, you can create the line segment as a separate path with a simple gradient along it.

B) If a closed path is required, you can apply a cunningly calculated gradient along it where the rest is black.

But a crucial question is this: how is the desired appearance at the actual crossing where one transparent segment crosses over/under a black segment?

If the black segment is to appear unbroken, it will look as if it is on top and break the flow in the transparency of the other one.

Otherwise the black segment will appear sharply broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your thoughtful reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also try expanding the cross hatch and the using a Graident Mesh Tool:

This will ultimatley give you more control in regards to your colour application.

Be sure to duplicate the original shape first.

Here is a cool tutorial that explains the freeform gradient and the Mesh Gradient Tool very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJlffeGkmo

Hope this helps,

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting! Thanks for taking the time to write this up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A basic gradient on (along) stroke:

grad.png

And if you have just one stroke and need to split or cut it, use Scissor Tool (C) clicking on the stroke or line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is awesome, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly, I believe that Jacob's (Hi, Jacob!) suggestion A is the way to go. Leave the shape in separate segments or join the parts that are not involved in the gradient portion. Select one of the crossing segments and apply the gradient along the stroke. I went from 100% black to 0% white and back again to be sure that the black would vanish completely. I used colors just to show the separate segments.

Petertromboniator_0-1591438767406.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter.

We have just had the second dry (as in drought), sunny, and cold, spring in a row. And now, with the hay season, rain.

Edit: And thunder, just now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VowelMouth,

Based on this,

"but I'm so rusty,"

I came to think that maybe you have no Gradient on Stroke options (including along), and no (varying) transparency Gradient option.

Regardless of version, you can still create the line segment as a separate stroke/nofill path as in A) exquisitely shown by Peter, then create a fill/nostroke rectangle with at least the same length and width and give it a white to black to white gradient and rotate/place it on top of the path, then select both (but not the rest of the infinity sign, which may be locked (no need to hide it)), then in the Transparency palette (flyout) click Make Opacity Mask with both Clip and Invert mask unticked (in the main Transparency palette). With this, the middle part covered by black will become transparent and the end parts covered by white will remain opaque (black), with the same soft transition as obtained by the gradient along.

I wonder whether this was sufficiently woolly and unintelligible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! That makes perfect sense, thank you so much for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, VowelMouth.

May I ask which way you ended up using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines