Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Blend/Mix colors proportinally in Illustrator

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community.
I am currently working on a historical colour theory book project and trying to reproduce a colour system from the early 1900's in illustrator (it's a long story). 
In the instructions in the original manuscript, the author is literally mixing percentages of pure colours with neutral grey. See below. How could I replicate accurately mixing a percentage of 'pure' colour with a specific percentage of neutral grey in Illustrator?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 3.50.31 PM.png

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

It is an interesting experiment.

But very difficult (impossible?) to achieve.

He worked with impure pigments which have been changed during time.

I guess he would have come closer in this digital age.

I played with some of the colors and blended them to black and white-ish, some come close, others are way off.

I hope someone comes up with a bright idea.

Screenshot 2021-03-26 at 00.08.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

I picked up the main middle color from the book and blended between a light (changing saturation down and brightness up) and dark swatch (changing brightness to zero) while keeping the Hue the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What colour theory book is this (just curiousity)?

Can you try HSB?

Where Hue is the pure colour when fully Saturated and the decreasing the Brightness increases the amount of gray (so you may need to invert the numbers; 100 Gray = 0% Brightness).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I may have misunderstood an you want to blend to a 50% gray?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick response Ton.

The colour theory book is Robert Ridgway's Color Standards and Color Nomenclature https://archive.org/details/mobot31753002026018/mode/2up

As a bit of context, I'm attempting to rebuild Ridgway's colour palettes. While there may be better ways, I'm interested in following and 'duplicating' the steps that Ridgway describes in the book (acknowledging that he was using Munsell's colour wheel and literally mixing pigments). 
I've created the 'Pure' colour plates, but now need to create the subsequent plates where he mixed percentages of grey to the pure colours. Again I acknowledge, that I'm comparing digital, on-screen and a scan etc but it still seems off when I either just adjust brightness. See below. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 8.11.09 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an interesting experiment.

But very difficult (impossible?) to achieve.

He worked with impure pigments which have been changed during time.

I guess he would have come closer in this digital age.

I played with some of the colors and blended them to black and white-ish, some come close, others are way off.

I hope someone comes up with a bright idea.

Screenshot 2021-03-26 at 00.08.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Ton.

Completely agree that it may be an impossible task. 
What interests me is the principles and process he adopted in building the colour system. It's all based on Munsell's colour system and spectrum.  I hoped the principles could be replicated in Illustrator. 
Fascinating right?!

Thanks for you help though.

Rhys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also be interested to know how you created your versions though. 

Rhys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I picked up the main middle color from the book and blended between a light (changing saturation down and brightness up) and dark swatch (changing brightness to zero) while keeping the Hue the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines