How to change all specific colors to another color.

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can some one tell me how to change all colors in Illustrator to another color all at once.

I used to work in Freehand and you could select all, them go to a panel and have it change

all of one color to another in a layout.

Exp. You could change pms 356 to pms 410 without selecting each individually.

I can't find this feature in Illustrator CS4

Any help appreciated

HJMann42

Is quit simple to do, like Kurt said.

Go to Swatch panel, select pms 401 than cmd select pms 356 go to pulldown menu and select Merge Swatches.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to change all specific colors to another color.

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can some one tell me how to change all colors in Illustrator to another color all at once.

I used to work in Freehand and you could select all, them go to a panel and have it change

all of one color to another in a layout.

Exp. You could change pms 356 to pms 410 without selecting each individually.

I can't find this feature in Illustrator CS4

Any help appreciated

HJMann42

Go to Swatch panel, select pms 401 than cmd select pms 356 go to pulldown menu and select Merge Swatches.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 01, 2012 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Edit colors > Recolor art

see manual for details.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2012 5
Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also take a look at the mechanisms in the Swatches palette.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2012 1
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika and Kurt.

Figured it out. But I couldn't get it to affect groups inside clipping masks. Basically had to completely

disassamble the logo.

Don't know why Illustrator has to make it so difficult. In Freehand it's simple: select the entire object, open

a panel, a few clicks and bingo it's done. Even if things are grouped, groups within groups, pasted into another group....no problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2012 2
Mar 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you don't have to disassemble anything. Live color works on different kinds of objects and in deeply nested groups and clipping masks.

see http://www.vektorgarten.de/img/tut/groups-live-color.mov

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2012 1
Contributor ,
Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, I managed to replace all black (which was the color of my sketch) by a new swatch. I used the '1 Color Job' option of the Recolor Artwork feature.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2016 1
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, because Illustrator will never be Frehand and yet, through the vagaries of fate, we are stuck with it. The "logic" of Illustrator is clear, even if the resulting functionality is anything but: why have something (a tool, function, etc) be simple, obvious and intuitive when you can make it obscure and gratuitously complex? The fact that I still miss FreeHand all these years later speaks volumes, as anyone who used that application will understand.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First make a swatch of pms 410.

Then select one item which is coloured with pms 356.

Now Select > Same ... to select everything that is 356.

Click on 410 swatch.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2012 13
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! just what I wanted to select all of one colour and change it. Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This is the simple fix I needed. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Mar 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2012 3
Resources