• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change the icon for all PDF files in MacOS away from Illustrator ?

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

after Re-Installing an older version of Illustrator, all file icons for PDF files are changed to Illustrator PDF icons. Though Preview is set as standard application for the PDF file type, the icons still remain Adobe icons. How can I change this back to Mac OSX standard icons?

Thank you

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Looks like Illustrator is set as the default application for PDF. You may change it by following these steps:

• Control-click a PDF file and choose Get Info from the pop-up menu.
  • In the dialog box that appears, click the Open With section to expand it.
  • Click the dropdown and choose Acrobat/ Adobe Reader from the list.
  • Under Use This Application To Open All Documents Like This One, click Change All.
  • Click Continue in the confirmation dialog that appears next.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srushti,

I am experincing the same issue as the original poster. He had said the Preview was set as the default application, mine is too and no matter how many times I perform the standard procedure for changing default applications on Mac, the icon for all PDF's on my system remains the Illustrator icon.

It is clearly an issue with using an older/better version of Illustrator.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue... is there a way to put back the default Mac icon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I experienced the same iussue... but not with an Adobe app. I installed PDFGear and uninstalled... the default app for all pdf is set to Preview. Though there is no way to get back also the default icon. If I select it in Info, there is no way to cut it because the system see the new icon as alredy the default icon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines