• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to covert CMYK to CMY color in Illustrator?

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

Do you know how to convert "CMYK" to its closest "CMY" color equivalent?

Maybe with a script, plugin or filter?

Thank you!

Martin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

If you know what you are doing, you can create a custom CMYK profile in Photoshop with Black Generation set to None.

Save it and load it in the Illustrator Color Settings.

No Black generation.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martin,

As I (mis)understand it:

Literally, you may say that simply removing the K value gets you to the purest representation, though paler.

It may be hard to keep the darkness/saturation in a better way than keeping the black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you lose part of the saturation but my perpose here is not the best looking colors but to avoid other problems with the flexo printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you doing the flexo printing, or sending files to a flexo printer? If it's latter, they'd be the best people to ask for a 0% black generation profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd need a custom profile that characterises the press/substrate, and contains no black generation.

What is the purpose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you know what you are doing, you can create a custom CMYK profile in Photoshop with Black Generation set to None.

Save it and load it in the Illustrator Color Settings.

No Black generation.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old custom CMYK method will get you CMY values, but all bets are off regarding what they'll actually print like. To get the "closest "CMY" color equivalent", you'd need a professionally built profile.

How to mimic FOGRA39 using a custom CMYK profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When I convert colours from CMYK to CMY on Photoshop and I need to import this file on ilustrator page to complete design, colors changing ang have diffrent color (looks like you delete direct black channel), I try many ways to ecport or save as but the same result.

Do anyone knoh how can I import the image to ilustrator after I convert file from  CMYK to CMY with same color result as looks on photoshop?

See pic first  is how looks photo when I import to AI and second is re result when I convert convert CMYK to CMYAI import file.JPGpsd file converted to CMY.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your options in your Color Settings for Color Management Policies?

If you set for CMYK: Preserve Numbers (Ignore Linked Profiles) it should not change in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sir, it was helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I create a custom CMYK profile in Illustrator? I got to that sialog box "Color Settings" but couldnt find where to crate the CMYK PROFILE dialog box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How do I create a custom CMYK profile in Illustrator?"

You need to do that in Photoshop. See the correct answer above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton! I managed to do that on Photoshop, and loaded it on Illustrator.
But the colors remain using Black, even after I load that color profile.
I loaded it on EDIT > COLOR SETTINGS 
What am I doing wrong?
(On Photoshop it worked)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loading the profile will do nothing by itself. It has to be used as a conversion target. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like was mentioned, you need to convert either from RGB to CMYK or from CMYK to CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! In fact, I had to convert from CMYK to RGB, and then from RGB to CMYK again, and it worked 🙂
Maybe you can help me out with this one...
The whole point of doind that, is because UV iumpression overloads the black ink.
All shades of grey gets 20% darker when print (And other colors that use BLACK in the composition too)
Do you know if there's a way to reduce only the black in 20% from all colors of the file (including the colors that mix BLACK with other colors)?
Here's a sample of File x Print
(Check the yellow and skin tone remains the same, but everywhere Black ink was used got darker) - I checked with the grey scale that it got 20% darker

uvprint x file.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same Custom CMYK window has options to limit the amount of black.

But it may be better to contact the manufacturer of your UV printer with your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, my friend, I tried that, but if I limit the amount of black, the remaining black used still being overloaded 😞
And I don't own the printer, it's a third part print service, and I have made a reserach, and it's common for UV printers to overload the black... 
So if you have any idea how to decrease 20% of usage only for the BLACK in the whole file, I appreciate!
(in Photoshop I can select the Black Channel and paint over it whit white - opacity 20%) but it's not the same and I lose the vector. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try in Illustrator: Edit > Edit Colors > Adjust Color Balance... to reduce the Black percentage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the best option would be to have an ICC Profile for that printer that takes care of the adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! The Adjust Color Balance worked pretty well!!!
Thanks so much, you are a life saver!
(In the beginning of all that I asked the printer service the ICC profile but they dont even have a clue what is that! LOL)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines