• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a new 'saved' document preset in Illustrator CC 2017

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a new document in Illustrator, the 'New Document' panel pops up. There is a tab at the top called 'Saved'. I'd like to be able to create a preset and save it so that it appears under this tab. In Photoshop, a 'Save Preset' button appears in the 'Preset Details' panel next to the document title, but this does not appear in Illustrator.

How do I get a preset to appear under the 'Saved' tab? I've tried creating a blank document and then clicking 'Save As Template', but it does not then appear in the 'Saved' tab when I create a new document.

There MUST be an easy way to do this that I'm missing...I've searched Google but no dice.

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.48.44.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Sorry forgot mention apple hides that folder. The folder you chose is not inside your username >> Library

Finder >> Go >> (hold down option) >> Library

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How strange. I've just checked to see if this is happening on my Mac, and it isn't - the document is the same size as when I created it.

Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just checked to see if this is happening on my Mac, and it isn't - the document is the same size as when I created it.

did you use pixels as your unit? this doesn't seem to be a problem in that case. since they're equivalent to points already, i guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just checked using inches as my unit - created a 10 x 10 in doc -- or 720 x 720 points. this results in a profile with a size of 720 x 720 inches! larger than its possible to create in AI!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was using pixels, and the dimensions stayed the same.

I created a test document of 100mm x 100mm, and when I reopen it as a template it measures 283.46mm x 283.46mm. That's a massive difference!

I guess I won't be using the templates feature much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have the time, submit a bug report here:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

i've been meaning to for a long time but only just got around to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have submitted a bug request. Hopefully enough other people have reported the same issue for Adobe to actually pay attention to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also submitted a bug request. In the meantime, I created the presets I needed in mm, changed the unit to points and then saved in New Document Profiles, then when opening from the New Document dialogue box, select the preset and change the unit before opening. A bit of a faff, but less number typing for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that when it opens, the dimensions of the file have been increased by 2.83464646464. If I open the same file from where it is saved, it opens with the correct dimensions.

i see this bug consistently. i think i mentioned it in a post above.

as far as i can tell my docs' size in points becomes the size in mm. So i create a 100 mm doc profile for example. that's 283 points. when i try to open it from the new document window, it becomes 283 mm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! That is it! You did indeed already say that above, I just didn't quite link it together.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious, but 2.83464646464 what? Pixels? Inches? Furlongs per fortnight squared?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original dimension multiplied by 2.83464646464

This refers to an old bug. If you created a new document profile with an artboard 100 mm square (for instance), the New Document window would display it as 283 mm square.

This is because something got lost in unit translation somewhere: 100 mm is 283 points.

It was the same for other units: 10 inches would get you 720 inches (there are 72 points in an inch), 100 cm would get you 2834 cm.

The bug has since been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kind of liked how the new interface would retain variations of the new document specs as a history. But at some point, I lost the original profile. Even when opening those variations, it would have mostly default parameters. I couldn't find my added profiles anywhere in that interface. Switching to the old interface gave me back access to the profiles I use regularly, so I'll have to live with the fact that I don't have access to the variations anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be great if the preset system actually saved things in a usable fashion, or offered any insight into where things will show up when you actually save them in hidden away Library folder. Every Adobe program saves its presets in like 5 places and they're all different from each other. Here's a fun one, After Effects 2017 keeps trying to save animation presets in the 2015 directory, and it has tried that for two versions now.

I decided to start going around it. I've been copying their presets to my own folders in Dropbox and symlinked them back. That way I can always figure out where the hell to save them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a low-quality reply but thank you for making me laugh today!

This is just, like...WTF?! 😂
I'd say more but that might just get this deleted faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a save preset button missing in Ai, why Adobe can't fix it long long time???????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They really should streamline the apps, why are they keep showing differences on how they handle saved presets. The Photoshop method is way more easier than the Illustrator method

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS i do see them show up now, they are showing under the "Print" presets and not under "Saved" presets.

However Photoshop saves the saved document custom presets in the preferences folder, that is here:

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings/

Here there are 2 files located; New Doc Sizes.json and MRU New Doc Sizes.jason, these 2 files contain the custom saved doc sizes.

This is what illustrator is missing and to me seems like a bug or broken GUI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schroef  schrieb

PS i do see them show up now, they are showing under the "Print" presets and not under "Saved" presets.

The "Saved" preset only contains Presets downloaded from Adobe Stock. I'm pretty sure this bit of information is contained somewhere in this long thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still its weird that Illustrator acts different then Photos and Indesign. Forget about what i said earlier. Those that did showup under print when i added them had complete wrong dimensions suddenly    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. The same problem here.

There is a "Correct Answer", it seems so.
And even so ... sorry, I didn't get in. Was the question "How To Put a New Document to "Saved" menu section", right? 

Is there a way to do it? Cause this way brings me even harder to find my own preset as it was before when it wasn't created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Saved" section only contains files downloaded from Adobe Stock

Please write feature requests on http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found there is a template folder for Illustrator,  if you use Windows 10:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CC 2019\Cool Extras\en_US\Templates\Blank Templates
Only, when I saved my docs there, they did not show in the window 'create new...' so basically still looking for a solution. If I find one, I will let you know....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is specifically for template (AIT) files, which are (perhaps confusingly) a separate beast from document profiles.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/illustrator/using/files-templates.html#about_templates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines