Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a word cloud?

Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to create a simple, but eye catching word cloud.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start scaling and positioning text objects (probably point text instead of area text).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should think about making this a feature in Illustrator, it would do a much better job than InDesign since it's vector and you can draw custom shapes in it with ease.  All they would need to do is allow you to create a word list, have a selection for what words get priority (In other words, the biggest in size) and have options for text direction (for example: diagonal, vertical, horizontal, etc...).  It would be a very widely used tool, hands down better than that silly script that is in InDesign and any of the online options as well.  The company I work for alone would be having me use it quite frequently to be honest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an online app that does this.

Here's one. There are many more:

Free online word cloud generator and tag cloud creator - WordClouds.com

There are lots of "one-trick-pony" apps. I really don't want another such feature within AI. I just want Adobe to fix all the features they've broken over the years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's pretty cool, rcraighead​—I saved it as .svg (experimental) and put it into Illustrator. It came in as live editable text and I could change the colors with the Edit Colors feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator desperately needs a word cloud wizard. That would be way more useful than making the Artboard palette commands actionable …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if I would want a wizard as much as a tool set that would let me create the text and input it into a shape that I design and allowing me to make use of the vast font library I have access to on my own system.  All we would need is a panel really, to enter or import a list of words in with options to do various settings.  Kind of how Trace works.  That would be great, and this is a feature that if Adobe did it right?  All of these so called info-text-graphic places that charge and as well all of the lame'Ol'free ones would be a forgotten relic of the past.  Because I've tried several of them and while like I said before?  They do an okay job, none of them would allow us the functionality that Illustrator gives us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, a dedicated Word Cloud Creator palette would be fabulous. And it should definitely be actionable.

On the other hand you're better off to assume that my statement was not a serious suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah, just some here when you suggest any kind of option, change, addition, etc... It tends to draw out those who like to respond like Jongware, etc... It's hard to tell when someone is or isn't serious at best times.  Those websites that the were referred to and even the lame script that ID has for it, really aren't as good as they need to be for me to want to make use of them.  I would rather have far more detailed control over what's going on than what they're offering.  Scripts though there are quite a few, also aren't written very well most of the time.  Very few are to be honest.  Not saying they're not trying their best, just none I've tried have fit the bill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I could choose, I would ask for better graphs and charts! But go ahead and put in a feature request.

Help menu > Submit Bug / Feature Request

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the online versions are all that great, they do an okay job at best and are pretty lame for the most part.  I still think this would be a great feature in Illustrator.  Yes, by all means, they should fix all the stuff that's been needing attention for a while, but there is no reason to not want specific new features to a program that is supposed to be the best in the industry.  CorelDRAW is by far better in a lot of ways than Illustrator, because Adobe still lives in the stone ages pretty much and are too freakin' hard headed to make changes.  This can be said about a great deal of software companies though, because it seems they don't like change all that much and are stuck on never expanding into areas that would be of use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of your "requests" -- and a few more -- are catered for in Marc Autret's "silly" script.

Apart from "but I want it in Illustrator! (whine whine)" it seems the perfect choice for what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mind someone suggesting I try some script or something, seeing how most of them have been pretty lame.  But I'm not whining and your negative slant on what I was posting about is quite unneeded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This site works awesome!

Make the word cloud using the site below.

https://www.jasondavies.com/wordcloud/

Download as an SVG file.

Open the SGV file up in adobe illustrator.

Copy and paste the contents of the opened SVG file into your current document.

By selecting all you can resize, recolor, etc.

Hope this helps!

Had to find my own solution for this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a really old thread but I just found a cool looking plugin on AEScripts.com for creating word clouds. 
Word Cloud - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use this FREE tool: Wordle - Beautiful Word Clouds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agree that this should absolutely be a feature. I am amazed that it isnt but its whether or not Adobe listen to users if we will see it in our lifetime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines